2000-12-02 19:47:33

by Wolfgang Spraul

Subject: 2.4.0-test11: hangs while "Probing PCI hardware" for Sony Vaio C1VE (Crusoe)

PhoenixBIOS, Sony Vaio C1VE

I did some printk() debugging, but the kernel hangs at various places in
pci_setup_device(), mostly in pci_read_bases().

I will assist in debugging if needed.
Regards,
Wolfgang

2000-12-02 19:56:17

by Jeff Garzik

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> PhoenixBIOS, Sony Vaio C1VE
>
> I did some printk() debugging, but the kernel hangs at various places in
> pci_setup_device(), mostly in pci_read_bases().

This is a Transmeta laptop, right?

See the recent thread with "Transmeta" in the subject. The problem
seems to have been identified, and hopefully the fix will appear in
test12-pre4, when released...

Jeff

2000-12-02 20:59:54

by Wolfgang Spraul

Yes, the C1VE has a Crusoe processor (5600 stepping 03).
I didn't find the "Transmeta" thread, though.
test12-pre still has the problem. And to change the PCI access from <Any> to
<BIOS> or <Direct> doesn't help either.
In the thread you mentioned, did they post any patches?
Wolfgang

Quoting Jeff Garzik <[email protected]>:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Wolfgang Spraul wrote:
> > PhoenixBIOS, Sony Vaio C1VE
> >
> > I did some printk() debugging, but the kernel hangs at various places
> in
> > pci_setup_device(), mostly in pci_read_bases().
>
> This is a Transmeta laptop, right?
>
> See the recent thread with "Transmeta" in the subject. The problem
> seems to have been identified, and hopefully the fix will appear in
> test12-pre4, when released...
>
> Jeff

2000-12-02 23:41:28

by Peter Samuelson

[Wolfgang Spraul]
> I didn't find the "Transmeta" thread, though.
> In the thread you mentioned, did they post any patches?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=97573394612476&w=2

No patch but a description, and Linus will apparently put it in the
next prepatch.

Peter