2006-01-30 08:52:36

by Willy Tarreau

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Linux Kernel Useful Patches (2.4)

Hi all,

after some discussions with some people, I made available a collection of
useful patches for kernel 2.4. There are only a dozen of patches right
now, but it's very easy to add more. Amongst those patches can be found
some drivers, security enhancements, polling optimisations, gcc4 fixes,
VM optimisations, etc... Links to the original sites as well as a local
mirror are provided.

They are classified by categories and can easily be found in more than
one category. I plan to add many more patches such as ACL, squashfs,
preempt, netdev-random, patch-o-matic, etc... when I have the time, and
possibly start the same work for 2.6 (everything has been prepared in
order to make it easy too).

If there are patches you frequently use and wish to be added there,
feel free to send a link and description.

At the moment, it's hosted on my home server. If it generates too much
traffic, I'll move it somewhere else.

link: http://w.ods.org/kernel/2.4/lkup/

Regards,
Willy

2006-01-30 14:33:33

by Thomas Voegtle

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Linux Kernel Useful Patches (2.4)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> after some discussions with some people, I made available a collection of
> useful patches for kernel 2.4. There are only a dozen of patches right
> now, but it's very easy to add more. Amongst those patches can be found
> some drivers, security enhancements, polling optimisations, gcc4 fixes,
> VM optimisations, etc... Links to the original sites as well as a local
> mirror are provided.
>
> They are classified by categories and can easily be found in more than
> one category. I plan to add many more patches such as ACL, squashfs,
> preempt, netdev-random, patch-o-matic, etc... when I have the time, and
> possibly start the same work for 2.6 (everything has been prepared in
> order to make it easy too).
>
> If there are patches you frequently use and wish to be added there,
> feel free to send a link and description.

My wish:

3ware 9xxx SATA-RAID support (is CONFIG_SCSI_3W_9XXX in 2.6)

http://www.amcc.com

Thomas

--
Thomas V?gtle email: [email protected]
----- http://www.voegtle-clan.de/thomas ------

2006-02-02 21:22:58

by Mathias Kretschmer

Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after some discussions with some people, I made available a collection of
> useful patches for kernel 2.4. There are only a dozen of patches right
> now, but it's very easy to add more. Amongst those patches can be found
> some drivers, security enhancements, polling optimisations, gcc4 fixes,
> VM optimisations, etc... Links to the original sites as well as a local
> mirror are provided.
>
> They are classified by categories and can easily be found in more than
> one category. I plan to add many more patches such as ACL, squashfs,
> preempt, netdev-random, patch-o-matic, etc... when I have the time, and

O(1) and low latency would also be interesting candidates for inclusion.

BTW, does anyone know about the state of the (l)ck patches for recent
2.4 kernels ?

> possibly start the same work for 2.6 (everything has been prepared in
> order to make it easy too).
>
> If there are patches you frequently use and wish to be added there,
> feel free to send a link and description.
>
> At the moment, it's hosted on my home server. If it generates too much
> traffic, I'll move it somewhere else.
>
> link: http://w.ods.org/kernel/2.4/lkup/
>
> Regards,
> Willy
>
> -

by Willy Tarreau

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:24:37PM +0100, Mathias Kretschmer wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >after some discussions with some people, I made available a collection of
> >useful patches for kernel 2.4. There are only a dozen of patches right
> >now, but it's very easy to add more. Amongst those patches can be found
> >some drivers, security enhancements, polling optimisations, gcc4 fixes,
> >VM optimisations, etc... Links to the original sites as well as a local
> >mirror are provided.
> >
> >They are classified by categories and can easily be found in more than
> >one category. I plan to add many more patches such as ACL, squashfs,
> >preempt, netdev-random, patch-o-matic, etc... when I have the time, and
>
> O(1) and low latency would also be interesting candidates for inclusion.

The last O(1) patch I've seen does not apply to kernels more recent than 2.4.19
(it's on Ingo's site). Do you have any up to date pointer that I could use ?
However, I have a local rediff of the lowlat patch that I will include.

> BTW, does anyone know about the state of the (l)ck patches for recent
> 2.4 kernels ?

No idea.

Regards,
Willy

2006-02-04 20:54:20

by Barry K. Nathan

On 2/4/06, Willy TARREAU <[email protected]> wrote:
> The last O(1) patch I've seen does not apply to kernels more recent than 2.4.19
> (it's on Ingo's site). Do you have any up to date pointer that I could use ?
> However, I have a local rediff of the lowlat patch that I will include.

(This e-mail ended up being a bit longer than I intended. The most
relevant stuff may be in the last couple of paragraphs, but I've
included the whole message for the sake of completeness.)

Red Hat ships it in a 2.4.21-based kernel. Here's their latest source RPM:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.21-37.0.1.EL.src.rpm

However, I just remembered that the RHEL 3 kernel patch series starts
with an -ac patch and builds up from there. I think it gets the O(1)
scheduler from there but it might apply further patches to it (but I'm
not 100% sure my memory is correct here).

Here's the last -ac patch:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.22/patch-2.4.22-ac4.bz2

If you want to see what Red Hat/Fedora did against 2.4.22, this is
what the final Fedora Core 1 kernel shipped:
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/kernel/FC-1/
(There are newer kernels for FC1 from Fedora Legacy, but I think those
just add security fixes.)

There's also 2.4.27-pre2-pac1, which has the O(1) scheduler. I don't
know if it introduces any bugs into the O(1) scheduler though. (It did
introduce a bug into the overcommit accounting, because part of it was
missing.)
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bero/2.4/2.4.27/patch-2.4.27-pre2-pac1.bz2

Finally, 2.4.31-lck1 has the O(1) scheduler. This is the "base" patch
for 2.4.31-lck1, which has O(1) but also has "kernel preemption, low
latency and CK interactivity":
http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/patches/2.4/2.4.31/2.4.31-lck1/components/010-lckbase.diff.bz2

It's probably the most recent forward-port of the O(1) patch, and it's
probably going to be the smallest diff to look through as well, if you
want to cherry-pick it out and make it work on 2.4.32 or 2.4.33-pre.
(I don't think I'll be doing this, however. The boxes I manage that
would greatly benefit from O(1) will probably move to kernel 2.6 soon
for other reasons anyway.)
--
-Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>

2006-02-04 22:24:36

by Willy Tarreau

Hi Barry,

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:54:15PM -0800, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Willy TARREAU <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The last O(1) patch I've seen does not apply to kernels more recent than 2.4.19
> > (it's on Ingo's site). Do you have any up to date pointer that I could use ?
> > However, I have a local rediff of the lowlat patch that I will include.
>
> (This e-mail ended up being a bit longer than I intended. The most
> relevant stuff may be in the last couple of paragraphs, but I've
> included the whole message for the sake of completeness.)
>
> Red Hat ships it in a 2.4.21-based kernel. Here's their latest source RPM:
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.4.21-37.0.1.EL.src.rpm
>
> However, I just remembered that the RHEL 3 kernel patch series starts
> with an -ac patch and builds up from there. I think it gets the O(1)
> scheduler from there but it might apply further patches to it (but I'm
> not 100% sure my memory is correct here).
>
> Here's the last -ac patch:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.22/patch-2.4.22-ac4.bz2

That's what I found too, but -ac is too much different. I tried applying
some patches designed for 2.4.21-ac and 2.4.22-ac on their non-ac respective
equivalents, and they rejected a lot of stuff.

> If you want to see what Red Hat/Fedora did against 2.4.22, this is
> what the final Fedora Core 1 kernel shipped:
> http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/kernel/FC-1/
> (There are newer kernels for FC1 from Fedora Legacy, but I think those
> just add security fixes.)
>
> There's also 2.4.27-pre2-pac1, which has the O(1) scheduler. I don't
> know if it introduces any bugs into the O(1) scheduler though. (It did
> introduce a bug into the overcommit accounting, because part of it was
> missing.)
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bero/2.4/2.4.27/patch-2.4.27-pre2-pac1.bz2
>
> Finally, 2.4.31-lck1 has the O(1) scheduler. This is the "base" patch
> for 2.4.31-lck1, which has O(1) but also has "kernel preemption, low
> latency and CK interactivity":
> http://www.plumlocosoft.com/kernel/patches/2.4/2.4.31/2.4.31-lck1/components/010-lckbase.diff.bz2
>
> It's probably the most recent forward-port of the O(1) patch, and it's
> probably going to be the smallest diff to look through as well, if you
> want to cherry-pick it out and make it work on 2.4.32 or 2.4.33-pre.

I have not time to spend digging through the diff, but I can link to
it. It clearly is the most recent version amongst all those we have
seen.

> (I don't think I'll be doing this, however. The boxes I manage that
> would greatly benefit from O(1) will probably move to kernel 2.6 soon
> for other reasons anyway.)
> --
> -Barry K. Nathan <[email protected]>

Thanks for your investigation,