2023-04-13 05:12:44

by Akihiko Odaki

Subject: virtio-iommu hotplug issue

Hi,

Recently I encountered a problem with the combination of Linux's
virtio-iommu driver and QEMU when a SR-IOV virtual function gets
disabled. I'd like to ask you what kind of solution is appropriate here
and implement the solution if possible.

A PCIe device implementing the SR-IOV specification exports a virtual
function, and the guest can enable or disable it at runtime by writing
to a configuration register. This effectively looks like a PCI device is
hotplugged for the guest. In such a case, the kernel assumes the
endpoint is detached from the virtio-iommu domain, but QEMU actually
does not detach it.

This inconsistent view of the removed device sometimes prevents the VM
from correctly performing the following procedure, for example:
1. Enable a VF.
2. Disable the VF.
3. Open a vfio container.
4. Open the group which the PF belongs to.
5. Add the group to the vfio container.
6. Map some memory region.
7. Close the group.
8. Close the vfio container.
9. Repeat 3-8

When the VF gets disabled, the kernel assumes the endpoint is detached
from the IOMMU domain, but QEMU actually doesn't detach it. Later, the
domain will be reused in step 3-8.

In step 7, the PF will be detached, and the kernel thinks there is no
endpoint attached and the mapping the domain holds is cleared, but the
VF endpoint is still attached and the mapping is kept intact.

In step 9, the same domain will be reused again, and the kernel requests
to create a new mapping, but it will conflict with the existing mapping
and result in -EINVAL.

This problem can be fixed by either of:
- requesting the detachment of the endpoint from the guest when the PCI
device is unplugged (the VF is disabled)
- detecting that the PCI device is gone and automatically detach it on
QEMU-side.

It is not completely clear for me which solution is more appropriate as
the virtio-iommu specification is written in a way independent of the
endpoint mechanism and does not say what should be done when a PCI
device is unplugged.

Regards,
Akihiko Odaki

2023-04-13 10:48:29

by Jean-Philippe Brucker

Subject: Re: virtio-iommu hotplug issue

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 01:49:43PM +0900, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I encountered a problem with the combination of Linux's
> virtio-iommu driver and QEMU when a SR-IOV virtual function gets disabled.
> I'd like to ask you what kind of solution is appropriate here and implement
> the solution if possible.
>
> A PCIe device implementing the SR-IOV specification exports a virtual
> function, and the guest can enable or disable it at runtime by writing to a
> configuration register. This effectively looks like a PCI device is
> hotplugged for the guest.

Just so I understand this better: the guest gets a whole PCIe device PF
that implements SR-IOV, and so the guest can dynamically create VFs? Out
of curiosity, is that a hardware device assigned to the guest with VFIO,
or a device emulated by QEMU?

> In such a case, the kernel assumes the endpoint is
> detached from the virtio-iommu domain, but QEMU actually does not detach it.
>
> This inconsistent view of the removed device sometimes prevents the VM from
> correctly performing the following procedure, for example:
> 1. Enable a VF.
> 2. Disable the VF.
> 3. Open a vfio container.
> 4. Open the group which the PF belongs to.
> 5. Add the group to the vfio container.
> 6. Map some memory region.
> 7. Close the group.
> 8. Close the vfio container.
> 9. Repeat 3-8
>
> When the VF gets disabled, the kernel assumes the endpoint is detached from
> the IOMMU domain, but QEMU actually doesn't detach it. Later, the domain
> will be reused in step 3-8.
>
> In step 7, the PF will be detached, and the kernel thinks there is no
> endpoint attached and the mapping the domain holds is cleared, but the VF
> endpoint is still attached and the mapping is kept intact.
>
> In step 9, the same domain will be reused again, and the kernel requests to
> create a new mapping, but it will conflict with the existing mapping and
> result in -EINVAL.
>
> This problem can be fixed by either of:
> - requesting the detachment of the endpoint from the guest when the PCI
> device is unplugged (the VF is disabled)

Yes, I think this is an issue in the virtio-iommu driver, which should be
sending a DETACH request when the VF is disabled, likely from
viommu_release_device(). I'll work on a fix unless you would like to do it

> - detecting that the PCI device is gone and automatically detach it on
> QEMU-side.
>
> It is not completely clear for me which solution is more appropriate as the
> virtio-iommu specification is written in a way independent of the endpoint
> mechanism and does not say what should be done when a PCI device is
> unplugged.

Yes, I'm not sure it's in scope for the specification, it's more about
software guidance

Thanks,
Jean

2023-04-13 11:11:48

by Akihiko Odaki

On 2023/04/13 19:40, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 01:49:43PM +0900, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently I encountered a problem with the combination of Linux's
>> virtio-iommu driver and QEMU when a SR-IOV virtual function gets disabled.
>> I'd like to ask you what kind of solution is appropriate here and implement
>> the solution if possible.
>>
>> A PCIe device implementing the SR-IOV specification exports a virtual
>> function, and the guest can enable or disable it at runtime by writing to a
>> configuration register. This effectively looks like a PCI device is
>> hotplugged for the guest.
>
> Just so I understand this better: the guest gets a whole PCIe device PF
> that implements SR-IOV, and so the guest can dynamically create VFs? Out
> of curiosity, is that a hardware device assigned to the guest with VFIO,
> or a device emulated by QEMU?

Yes, that's right. The guest can dynamically create and delete VFs. The
device is emulated by QEMU: igb, an Intel NIC recently added to QEMU and
projected to be released as part of QEMU 8.0.

>> In such a case, the kernel assumes the endpoint is
>> detached from the virtio-iommu domain, but QEMU actually does not detach it.
>>
>> This inconsistent view of the removed device sometimes prevents the VM from
>> correctly performing the following procedure, for example:
>> 1. Enable a VF.
>> 2. Disable the VF.
>> 3. Open a vfio container.
>> 4. Open the group which the PF belongs to.
>> 5. Add the group to the vfio container.
>> 6. Map some memory region.
>> 7. Close the group.
>> 8. Close the vfio container.
>> 9. Repeat 3-8
>>
>> When the VF gets disabled, the kernel assumes the endpoint is detached from
>> the IOMMU domain, but QEMU actually doesn't detach it. Later, the domain
>> will be reused in step 3-8.
>>
>> In step 7, the PF will be detached, and the kernel thinks there is no
>> endpoint attached and the mapping the domain holds is cleared, but the VF
>> endpoint is still attached and the mapping is kept intact.
>>
>> In step 9, the same domain will be reused again, and the kernel requests to
>> create a new mapping, but it will conflict with the existing mapping and
>> result in -EINVAL.
>>
>> This problem can be fixed by either of:
>> - requesting the detachment of the endpoint from the guest when the PCI
>> device is unplugged (the VF is disabled)
>
> Yes, I think this is an issue in the virtio-iommu driver, which should be
> sending a DETACH request when the VF is disabled, likely from
> viommu_release_device(). I'll work on a fix unless you would like to do it

It will be nice if you prepare a fix. I will test your patch with my
workload if you share it with me.

Regards,
Akihiko Odaki

>> - detecting that the PCI device is gone and automatically detach it on
>> QEMU-side.
>>
>> It is not completely clear for me which solution is more appropriate as the
>> virtio-iommu specification is written in a way independent of the endpoint
>> mechanism and does not say what should be done when a PCI device is
>> unplugged.
>
> Yes, I'm not sure it's in scope for the specification, it's more about
> software guidance
>
> Thanks,
> Jean

2023-04-13 13:53:52

by Eric Auger

Hi,

On 4/13/23 13:01, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
> On 2023/04/13 19:40, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 01:49:43PM +0900, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Recently I encountered a problem with the combination of Linux's
>>> virtio-iommu driver and QEMU when a SR-IOV virtual function gets
>>> disabled.
>>> I'd like to ask you what kind of solution is appropriate here and
>>> implement
>>> the solution if possible.
>>>
>>> A PCIe device implementing the SR-IOV specification exports a virtual
>>> function, and the guest can enable or disable it at runtime by
>>> writing to a
>>> configuration register. This effectively looks like a PCI device is
>>> hotplugged for the guest.
>>
>> Just so I understand this better: the guest gets a whole PCIe device PF
>> that implements SR-IOV, and so the guest can dynamically create VFs?
>> Out
>> of curiosity, is that a hardware device assigned to the guest with VFIO,
>> or a device emulated by QEMU?
>
> Yes, that's right. The guest can dynamically create and delete VFs.
> The device is emulated by QEMU: igb, an Intel NIC recently added to
> QEMU and projected to be released as part of QEMU 8.0.
From below description In understand you then bind this emulated device
to VFIO on guest, correct?

>>> In such a case, the kernel assumes the endpoint is
>>> detached from the virtio-iommu domain, but QEMU actually does not
>>> detach it.
The QEMU virtio-iommu device executes commands from the virtio-iommu
driver and my understanding is the VFIO infra is not in trouble here. As
suggested by Jean, a detach command probably is missed.

>>> This inconsistent view of the removed device sometimes prevents the
>>> VM from
>>> correctly performing the following procedure, for example:
>>> 1. Enable a VF.
>>> 2. Disable the VF.
>>> 3. Open a vfio container.
>>> 4. Open the group which the PF belongs to.
>>> 5. Add the group to the vfio container.
>>> 6. Map some memory region.
>>> 7. Close the group.
>>> 8. Close the vfio container.
>>> 9. Repeat 3-8
>>>
>>> When the VF gets disabled, the kernel assumes the endpoint is
>>> detached from
>>> the IOMMU domain, but QEMU actually doesn't detach it. Later, the
>>> domain
>>> will be reused in step 3-8.
>>>
>>> In step 7, the PF will be detached, and the kernel thinks there is no
>>> endpoint attached and the mapping the domain holds is cleared, but
>>> the VF
>>> endpoint is still attached and the mapping is kept intact.
>>>
>>> In step 9, the same domain will be reused again, and the kernel
>>> requests to
>>> create a new mapping, but it will conflict with the existing mapping
>>> and
>>> result in -EINVAL.
>>>
>>> This problem can be fixed by either of:
>>> - requesting the detachment of the endpoint from the guest when the PCI
>>> device is unplugged (the VF is disabled)
>>
>> Yes, I think this is an issue in the virtio-iommu driver, which
>> should be
>> sending a DETACH request when the VF is disabled, likely from
>> viommu_release_device(). I'll work on a fix unless you would like to
>> do it
>
> It will be nice if you prepare a fix. I will test your patch with my
> workload if you share it with me.

I can help testing too

Thanks

Eric

> Regards,
> Akihiko Odaki
>

>>> - detecting that the PCI device is gone and automatically detach it on
>>> QEMU-side.
>>>
>>> It is not completely clear for me which solution is more appropriate
>>> as the
>>> virtio-iommu specification is written in a way independent of the
>>> endpoint
>>> mechanism and does not say what should be done when a PCI device is
>>> unplugged.
>>
>> Yes, I'm not sure it's in scope for the specification, it's more about
>> software guidance
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jean

2023-04-14 03:00:56

by Akihiko Odaki

On 2023/04/13 22:39, Eric Auger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/13/23 13:01, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
>> On 2023/04/13 19:40, Jean-Philippe Brucker wrote:

>>> Just so I understand this better: the guest gets a whole PCIe device PF
>>> that implements SR-IOV, and so the guest can dynamically create VFs?
>>> Out
>>> of curiosity, is that a hardware device assigned to the guest with VFIO,
>>> or a device emulated by QEMU?
>>
>> Yes, that's right. The guest can dynamically create and delete VFs.
>> The device is emulated by QEMU: igb, an Intel NIC recently added to
>> QEMU and projected to be released as part of QEMU 8.0.
> From below description In understand you then bind this emulated device
> to VFIO on guest, correct?

Yes, that's correct.

> The QEMU virtio-iommu device executes commands from the virtio-iommu
> driver and my understanding is the VFIO infra is not in trouble here. As
> suggested by Jean, a detach command probably is missed.

VFIO just illustrates the problem and the origin of the problem is
indeed virtio-iommu.

Regards,
Akihiko Odaki

>>> Yes, I think this is an issue in the virtio-iommu driver, which
>>> should be
>>> sending a DETACH request when the VF is disabled, likely from
>>> viommu_release_device(). I'll work on a fix unless you would like to
>>> do it
>>
>> It will be nice if you prepare a fix. I will test your patch with my
>> workload if you share it with me.
>
> I can help testing too
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric
>>
>> Regards,
>> Akihiko Odaki

>>> Yes, I'm not sure it's in scope for the specification, it's more about
>>> software guidance
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jean

2023-04-14 15:18:29

by Jean-Philippe Brucker

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 08:01:54PM +0900, Akihiko Odaki wrote:
> Yes, that's right. The guest can dynamically create and delete VFs. The
> device is emulated by QEMU: igb, an Intel NIC recently added to QEMU and
> projected to be released as part of QEMU 8.0.

Ah great, that's really useful, I'll add it to my tests

> > Yes, I think this is an issue in the virtio-iommu driver, which should be
> > sending a DETACH request when the VF is disabled, likely from
> > viommu_release_device(). I'll work on a fix unless you would like to do it
>
> It will be nice if you prepare a fix. I will test your patch with my
> workload if you share it with me.

I sent a fix:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/[email protected]/

Thank you for reporting this, it must have been annoying to debug

Thanks,
Jean