2007-08-22 06:47:59

by Noud Aldenhoven

Subject: How to learn Linux Kernel Programming

Thank you for your information and help,

I think it's a lot more clear for me now.
I've seen the ldd3 some time ago, but someone told me that book was
out-of-date. Guess he was wrong. Would it also be use full to use some
kind of cross-compiler? (don't know if that's the right word for it)
So I can run my stable kernel and on top of it a new experimental
kernel where I can experiment with?

Noud

--
<:3 )~

2007-08-22 09:33:00

by Nicolas Vigier

Subject: Re: How to learn Linux Kernel Programming

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Noud Aldenhoven wrote:

> Thank you for your information and help,
>
> I think it's a lot more clear for me now.
> I've seen the ldd3 some time ago, but someone told me that book was
> out-of-date. Guess he was wrong. Would it also be use full to use some
> kind of cross-compiler? (don't know if that's the right word for it)
> So I can run my stable kernel and on top of it a new experimental
> kernel where I can experiment with?

You mean virtualization ? VMWare, Qemu, VirtualBox, Xen, KVM ...

Nicolas

2007-08-22 10:07:03

by Jesper Juhl

(please don't trim Cc lists when replying, just use Reply-to-all)

On 22/08/07, Noud Aldenhoven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thank you for your information and help,
>
> I think it's a lot more clear for me now.
> I've seen the ldd3 some time ago, but someone told me that book was
> out-of-date. Guess he was wrong.

It /is/ out of date, but it still contains a lot of useful information.

> Would it also be use full to use some
> kind of cross-compiler? (don't know if that's the right word for it)
> So I can run my stable kernel and on top of it a new experimental
> kernel where I can experiment with?

A cross compiler is used to compile a kernel for one architecture
while running a different one. for example; building a kernel to run
on ppc64 while running i386.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>

by Bernd Petrovitsch

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 06:47 +0000, Noud Aldenhoven wrote:
> Thank you for your information and help,
>
> I think it's a lot more clear for me now.
> I've seen the ldd3 some time ago, but someone told me that book was
> out-of-date. Guess he was wrong. Would it also be use full to use some
> kind of cross-compiler? (don't know if that's the right word for it)

No.

> So I can run my stable kernel and on top of it a new experimental
> kernel where I can experiment with?

Then you want to use UserModeLinux.

Bernd
--
Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55