2009-10-04 13:40:26

by Loïc Grenié

Subject: SB600 sound module disabled on kexec

Hi,

I have had this problem for a long time and not reported
it earlier. Sorry. This might have been true already for
2.6.18...

I have a laptop with an ATI (AMD) SB600 south bridge
including a sound module. When I boot the kernel from the
bootloader, there is no problem: hda-intel drives the module.
When I kexec the kernel, there is a problem with IRQ
configuration and the sound is disabled.

I have attached lspci.[01], dmesg.[01] and config. The
suffix is .0 for a bootloader-booted kernel and a .1 for a
kexec'ed kernel.
Full disclosure: I've swapped some lines (but not
modified any) in the dmesg.[01] to reduce the number of
differences between the files. I think it should not matter
(the error does not seem to be related to the order of the
initialization of the various subsytems), but if it does please
tell me.

Thanks,

Lo?c

Attachments:
dmesg.0 (49.19 kB)
dmesg.1 (48.33 kB)
lspci.0 (22.10 kB)
lspci.1 (22.10 kB)
config-2.6.31.1 (67.83 kB)

by Takashi Iwai

Subject: Re: SB600 sound module disabled on kexec

At Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:39:41 +0200,
Loïc Grenié wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have had this problem for a long time and not reported
> it earlier. Sorry. This might have been true already for
> 2.6.18...
>
> I have a laptop with an ATI (AMD) SB600 south bridge
> including a sound module. When I boot the kernel from the
> bootloader, there is no problem: hda-intel drives the module.
> When I kexec the kernel, there is a problem with IRQ
> configuration and the sound is disabled.

Could you check whether enable_msi=1 option for snd-hda-intel has
any influence? I enabled this as default for 2.6.33, and I'd like to
know any good/bad influence by that.

thanks,

Takashi

2009-10-07 10:10:23

by Loïc Grenié

2009/10/7 Takashi Iwai <[email protected]>:
> At Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:39:41 +0200,
> Lo?c Greni? wrote:
>>
>> ? ? Hi,
>>
>> ? ? I have had this problem for a long time and not reported
>> ? it earlier. Sorry. This might have been true already for
>> ? 2.6.18...
>>
>> ? ? I have a laptop with an ATI (AMD) SB600 south bridge
>> ? including a sound module. When I boot the kernel from the
>> ? bootloader, there is no problem: hda-intel drives the module.
>> ? When I kexec the kernel, there is a problem with IRQ
>> ? configuration and the sound is disabled.
>
> Could you check whether enable_msi=1 option for snd-hda-intel has
> any influence? ?I enabled this as default for 2.6.33, and I'd like to
> know any good/bad influence by that.

No, it does not: on bootloader-boot snd-hda-intel loads correctly and
sound is enabled, on kexec however sound is disabled with the same
"cannot grab IRQ 0" message.

Thanks,

Lo?c

2009-10-07 10:20:07

by Takashi Iwai

At Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:09:43 +0200,
Loïc Grenié wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Takashi Iwai <[email protected]>:
> > At Sun, 4 Oct 2009 15:39:41 +0200,
> > Loïc Grenié wrote:
> >>
> >>     Hi,
> >>
> >>     I have had this problem for a long time and not reported
> >>   it earlier. Sorry. This might have been true already for
> >>   2.6.18...
> >>
> >>     I have a laptop with an ATI (AMD) SB600 south bridge
> >>   including a sound module. When I boot the kernel from the
> >>   bootloader, there is no problem: hda-intel drives the module.
> >>   When I kexec the kernel, there is a problem with IRQ
> >>   configuration and the sound is disabled.
> >
> > Could you check whether enable_msi=1 option for snd-hda-intel has
> > any influence?  I enabled this as default for 2.6.33, and I'd like to
> > know any good/bad influence by that.
>
> No, it does not: on bootloader-boot snd-hda-intel loads correctly and
> sound is enabled, on kexec however sound is disabled with the same
> "cannot grab IRQ 0" message.

Thanks, at least it's good to know that enable_msi=1 doesn't break
things :)

Takashi