2005-05-18 13:48:01

by Ian Soboroff

Subject: ACPI S3/APM suspend

I recently reinstalled my laptop (Fujitsu P2110) with RHEL4, and I
found that neither ACPI S3 or APM suspend (booting with acpi=off) work
reliably with their stock kernel (a 2.6.9 derivative). Sometimes
resuming works, but more often the computer locks up, or the keyboard
doesn't function respond.

APM suspend worked fine on the last kernel I tried it with (stock
2.6.3) but I think the last time I tried a newer vanilla kernel
(around 2.6.9 time), it didn't work. I don't think I've ever seen
Linux ACPI S3 suspend work reliably on this laptop, but since APM was
always so solid I didn't test it much.

Have there been any improvements in this area in more recent Linus
kernels? Any patches floating around which fix suspend-to-ram
problems?

Thanks,
Ian

2005-05-18 15:10:50

by Ian Soboroff

Subject: Re: ACPI S3/APM suspend

Ian Soboroff <[email protected]> writes:

> I recently reinstalled my laptop (Fujitsu P2110) with RHEL4, and I
> found that neither ACPI S3 or APM suspend (booting with acpi=off) work
> reliably with their stock kernel (a 2.6.9 derivative). Sometimes
> resuming works, but more often the computer locks up, or the keyboard
> doesn't function respond.

Just tried with 2.6.11.10 using ACPI. On resume, the mouse doesn't
respond (there isn't even a cursor). If I C-A-Backspace out of X, GDM
needs to be specially HUP'd to restart. But the mouse still doesn't
work.

This was one of the failure modes in the RHEL 2.6.9-5.0.5 kernel. (I
know, I know, "ask RH for support", but they don't seem to have any of
the ACPI or APM suspend bugs in their bugzilla anywhere near
resolved.)

Ian

2005-05-19 01:54:18

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 00:59, Ian Soboroff wrote:
> Ian Soboroff <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I recently reinstalled my laptop (Fujitsu P2110) with RHEL4, and I
> > found that neither ACPI S3 or APM suspend (booting with acpi=off) work
> > reliably with their stock kernel (a 2.6.9 derivative). Sometimes
> > resuming works, but more often the computer locks up, or the keyboard
> > doesn't function respond.
>
> Just tried with 2.6.11.10 using ACPI. On resume, the mouse doesn't
> respond (there isn't even a cursor). If I C-A-Backspace out of X, GDM
> needs to be specially HUP'd to restart. But the mouse still doesn't
> work.

You will probably be able to address this by building psmouse and evdev
as modules and doing the following sequence:

1) chvt away from X
2) rmmod psmouse & evdev
3) suspend & resume as normal
4) modprobe psmouse & evdev
5) switch back

The hibernate script (see http://suspend2.net) can make this less
painful if you want it.

In the case of USB mice, you will probably want to unload not just
psmouse & evdev, but the whole set of USB modules.

Regards,

Nigel

> This was one of the failure modes in the RHEL 2.6.9-5.0.5 kernel. (I
> know, I know, "ask RH for support", but they don't seem to have any of
> the ACPI or APM suspend bugs in their bugzilla anywhere near
> resolved.)
>
> Ian
>

> -

by Ian Soboroff

Ian Soboroff <[email protected]> writes:

> Just tried with 2.6.11.10 using ACPI. On resume, the mouse doesn't
> respond (there isn't even a cursor). If I C-A-Backspace out of X, GDM
> needs to be specially HUP'd to restart. But the mouse still doesn't
> work.

It seems (so far) that APM suspend on 2.6.11.10 works on my laptop.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I think I'll avoid ACPI for
the time being... suspend seems too flaky around
PS2/keyboard/USB/video.

Ian