2002-04-19 08:33:45

by blesson paul

Subject: /dev/zero

Hi
I need some more information about /dev/zero. I need to replace the device
driver of /dev/zero(I do not know whether I can name the program controlling
the /dev/zero as device driver). How to do the job. If I cannot replace the
device driver of /dev/zero, how to create a new charecter device and load my
device driver.

regards
Blesson Paul

by Frank Schäfer

Subject: Re: /dev/zero

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 10:33, blesson paul wrote:
> Hi
> I need some more information about /dev/zero. I need to replace the device
> driver of /dev/zero(I do not know whether I can name the program controlling
> the /dev/zero as device driver). How to do the job. If I cannot replace the
> device driver of /dev/zero, how to create a new charecter device and load my
> device driver.

Hi,

I don't have any clue, why one should want to replace /dev/zero. But to
get a picture how to start writing a device driver, see
http://www.freeos.com/articles/2677/2/13/ ( Or
Goooooooooooooooooooooogle some other information ).

Regards
Frank

2002-04-19 16:36:24

by Torrey Hoffman

blesson paul wrote:
> I need some more information about /dev/zero. I
> need to replace the device
> driver of /dev/zero(I do not know whether I can name the
> program controlling
> the /dev/zero as device driver). How to do the job.

You really ought to get yourself a copy of "Linux Device
Drivers 2nd Edition" by Rubini and Corbet.

It contains good explanations and lots of examples.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive2/

Lucky for you, there is a free online copy:

http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/index.html

but you probably want to get the paper version too, it is
more convenient in many situations.

Good luck.

Torrey Hoffman

by willam

> On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 10:33, blesson paul wrote:
> > Hi
> > I need some more information about /dev/zero. I need to replace the
device
> > driver of /dev/zero(I do not know whether I can name the program
controlling
> > the /dev/zero as device driver). How to do the job. If I cannot replace
the
> > device driver of /dev/zero, how to create a new charecter device and
load my
> > device driver.

Hi,you should read the <<Linux Device Drivers>>,it will surely do good to
you.

2002-04-23 22:49:02

by Bill Davidsen

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, blesson paul wrote:

> I need some more information about /dev/zero. I need to replace the device
> driver of /dev/zero(I do not know whether I can name the program controlling
> the /dev/zero as device driver). How to do the job. If I cannot replace the
> device driver of /dev/zero, how to create a new charecter device and load my
> device driver.

I have to ask, WHY? Is this because you want to return a value other
than zero, to to improve the performance of /dev/zero, or just to write a
driver (/dev/one could be used ;-).

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc