2003-09-06 17:18:38

by Armin Obersteiner

Subject: 2.6-test4 latencey problems + howto compilation

hi!

Congratulations for the 2.6 kernel, it seems more mature than 2.4 test kernels!

My 2.6 experience (linux-2.6.0-test4) is basically *very* good, but some remarks:

1) Documents/Changes should be updated to:

module-init-tools 0.9.13 # depmod -V

Earlier module-init-tools do not work. at least nor for me.

2) latency problems:

Allthough the new kernel feels snappier and faster in regard to mouse/keyboard/window
handling, it has following problems:

I have a cronjob every minute to pop/spamfiler/archive, so I have some IO on a regular
basis. (The problem arises with any longer IO phase though).

So during HD IO (ide/dma on) the mouse hangs, mouse buttons are not recognized.

X11 is prio 15 / no nice level.

Can you help me there? Do you need further information? (config attached)

3) I compiled a HOWTO/FAQ: <http://armin.emx.at/kernel_2.6/>

Yeah it is yet another one, but I try to be more complete, and I'm willing to update.

This is for 2.6 first timers, please testers look at it and share your experiences!

Thanks,
Armin
--
[email protected] pgp public key on request CU

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.14 kB)
config-2.6 (30.17 kB)
Download all attachments
Congratulations for the 2.6 kernel, it seems more mature than 2.4 test
kernels!

My 2.6 experience (linux-2.6.0-test4) is basically *very* good, but
some remarks:

1) Documents/Changes should be updated to:

module-init-tools 0.9.13 # depmod -V

Earlier module-init-tools do not work. at least nor for me.

---- End Original Message ----

Hi Armin.

I don't know why the previous module-init-tools don't work
for your system. I am using the 2.6.0-test4 kernel (with the
Nick Piggin ideas about schedule patched) and i can manage
modules perfectly. This is my depmod -V output:

module-init-tools 0.9.10

Maybe you can have another thing broken?.

Regards.

Jose.

http://linuxespana.scripterz.org

FreeBSD RELEASE 4.8.
Mandrake Linux 9.1 Kernel 2.6.0-test4 XFS.
Registered BSD User 51101.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.

__________________
http://www.zzn.com

2003-09-06 19:56:08

by Armin Obersteiner

hi!

> I don't know why the previous module-init-tools don't work
> for your system. I am using the 2.6.0-test4 kernel (with the
> Nick Piggin ideas about schedule patched) and i can manage
> modules perfectly. This is my depmod -V output:
>
> module-init-tools 0.9.10
>
> Maybe you can have another thing broken?.

I did not try every version from 0.9.10 to 0.9.13. I can remember
0.9.9 (recommended) did not work and 0.9.14-pre did not work/compile
(most current) so I tried 0.9.13 - and this one worked :)

Of course maybe there is an other cause 0.9.9 not working (I had to
upgrade the normal modutils too), but I would simply recommend 0.9.13
for 2.6-test5.

Regards,
Armin
--
[email protected] pgp public key on request CU