2011-02-28 03:38:40

by Bill Gatliff

Subject: [GIT PULL] Generic PWM Device API

Andrew, Linus:

The git repository described in the following pull request implements
a generic PWM device driver API. This API is intended to eventually
supercede the existing PWM device drivers, but during a migration
period will coexist peacefully with them.

This code has been discussed at length on the linux-embedded mailing
list. Noteworthy threads include:

v6 (final) patches:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03291.html

v5 patches:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03279.html

v4 patches:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03263.html

Thanks!

b.g.
---
Bill Gatliff
[email protected]

--------

The following changes since commit 493f3358cb289ccf716c5a14fa5bb52ab75943e5:

Merge branch 'pm-fixes' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rafael/suspend-2.6
(2011-02-25 15:15:17 -0800)

are available in the git repository at:

git://git.billgatliff.com/pwm.git linux-next

Bill Gatliff (3):
PWM: Implement a generic PWM framework
PWM: GPIO+hrtimer device emulation
PWM: Atmel PWMC driver

Documentation/pwm.txt | 277 +++++++++++++++++++++
MAINTAINERS | 8 +
drivers/Kconfig | 2 +
drivers/Makefile | 2 +
drivers/pwm/Kconfig | 29 +++
drivers/pwm/Makefile | 7 +
drivers/pwm/atmel-pwmc.c | 494 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/pwm/gpio-pwm.c | 348 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
drivers/pwm/pwm.c | 610 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
include/linux/pwm/pwm.h | 155 ++++++++++++
create mode 100644 Documentation/pwm.txt
create mode 100644 drivers/pwm/Kconfig
create mode 100644 drivers/pwm/Makefile
create mode 100644 drivers/pwm/atmel-pwmc.c
create mode 100644 drivers/pwm/gpio-pwm.c
create mode 100644 drivers/pwm/pwm.c
create mode 100644 include/linux/pwm/pwm.h

2011-02-28 04:45:09

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Generic PWM Device API

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38:38PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Andrew, Linus:
>

> The git repository described in the following pull request implements
> a generic PWM device driver API. This API is intended to eventually
> supercede the existing PWM device drivers, but during a migration
> period will coexist peacefully with them.
>
> This code has been discussed at length on the linux-embedded mailing
> list. Noteworthy threads include:
>
> v6 (final) patches:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03291.html
>
> v5 patches:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03279.html
>
> v4 patches:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg03263.html
>

> Thanks!

Isn't it a bit late in the -rc release cycle to pull this in now?

confused,

greg k-h

2011-02-28 10:31:31

by Sascha Hauer

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38:38PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Andrew, Linus:
>

> The git repository described in the following pull request implements
> a generic PWM device driver API. This API is intended to eventually
> supercede the existing PWM device drivers, but during a migration
> period will coexist peacefully with them.

Sorry for the late answer, but it took some time to read the patches
again.

Is it a good idea to have to APIs for the same thing in the kernel?
The old API has users whereas the new API has none. How can we migrate
from one API to the other when for example the backlight pwm driver
depends on the old API, SoC level drivers implement the old API, but
the atmel pwm driver is only available for the new API?

Sascha

--
Pengutronix e.K. | |
Industrial Linux Solutions | http://www.pengutronix.de/ |

2011-02-28 11:28:42

by Jonathan Cameron

On 02/28/11 10:31, Sascha Hauer wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38:38PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
>> Andrew, Linus:
>>

>> The git repository described in the following pull request implements
>> a generic PWM device driver API. This API is intended to eventually
>> supercede the existing PWM device drivers, but during a migration
>> period will coexist peacefully with them.
>
> Sorry for the late answer, but it took some time to read the patches
> again.
>
> Is it a good idea to have to APIs for the same thing in the kernel?
> The old API has users whereas the new API has none. How can we migrate
> from one API to the other when for example the backlight pwm driver
> depends on the old API, SoC level drivers implement the old API, but
> the atmel pwm driver is only available for the new API?

See the info in Bill's previous postings. He has other drivers queued
up but wants to break up the review burden by merging this core stuff
first...

2011-02-28 12:17:38

by Jonathan Cameron

On 02/28/11 11:28, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
> On 02/28/11 10:31, Sascha Hauer wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 09:38:38PM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
>>> Andrew, Linus:
>>>

>>> The git repository described in the following pull request implements
>>> a generic PWM device driver API. This API is intended to eventually
>>> supercede the existing PWM device drivers, but during a migration
>>> period will coexist peacefully with them.
>>
>> Sorry for the late answer, but it took some time to read the patches
>> again.
>>
>> Is it a good idea to have to APIs for the same thing in the kernel?
>> The old API has users whereas the new API has none. How can we migrate
>> from one API to the other when for example the backlight pwm driver
>> depends on the old API, SoC level drivers implement the old API, but
>> the atmel pwm driver is only available for the new API?
>>
> See the info in Bill's previous postings. He has other drivers queued
> up but wants to break up the review burden by merging this core stuff
> first...

Come to think of it, Bill, could you post these at this stage to
show the full benefit of this move?

2011-02-28 16:49:45

by Greg KH

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:43:20AM -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Greg et. al:
>
> Definitely too late to pull for this review cycle. I guess I should have
> made that clearer.
>
> I figured there would be more discussion on it, so I posted now in hopes
> that the discussion could conclude before the next window opened. Sorry for
> not making that clearer too.

Discussion is good, but we can't discuss git pull requests as we can't
see the code :)

So just post patches, that we can review.

thanks,

greg k-h