2011-03-21 14:44:00

by nidhi mittal hada

Subject: usb-serial gadget -- windows xp not working

Hi all
I tried using g_serial driver for using my BeagleBoard (BB) as usb
serial gadget to connect it to windows xp host.
using this link
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/gadget_serial.txt

The command
modprobe g_serial executed properly on BB (gadget) and It gets
identified successfully on Linus host(ubuntu) when connected through
usb wire.

But
when the gadget connected to Windows XP .
Host XP identifies a new hardware in device manager ...But the step of
installing the .inf file obtained from
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/linux-cdc-acm.inf
does not succeed !!!

As i found after googling -- i changed the product ID Vendor ID in
.inf file ..as found for my gadget.
But the problem persists.!!!

Pl help .

Thanks
Nidhi

--
Thanks & Regards
Nidhi Mittal Hada

http://nidhi-searchingmyself.blogspot.com/

2011-03-21 15:17:12

by Xiaofan Chen

Subject: Re: usb-serial gadget -- windows xp not working

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM, nidhi mittal hada
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all
> I tried using g_serial driver for using my BeagleBoard (BB) ?as usb
> serial gadget to connect it to windows xp host.
> using this link
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/gadget_serial.txt
>
> The command
> modprobe g_serial executed properly ?on BB (gadget) and It gets
> identified successfully on Linus host(ubuntu) when connected through
> usb wire.
>
> But
> when the gadget connected to Windows XP .
> Host XP identifies a new hardware in device manager ...But the step of
> installing the .inf file obtained from
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/usb/linux-cdc-acm.inf
> does not succeed !!!

The inf file indeed has some bugs. But I doubt that is your problem.
http://www.microchip.com/forums/fb.ashx?m=488342

mchpcdc.inf (and its derivatives)

[DestinationDirs]
FakeModemCopyFileSection=12 ; <------ add this line
DefaultDestDir=12

[DriverInstall.nt]
include=mdmcpq.inf
;; CopyFiles = DriverCopyFiles.nt ; <------ wrong one: reference
to this INF file
CopyFiles = FakeModemCopyFileSection ; <------ right one: reference
to a section in mdmcpq.inf
AddReg=DriverInstall.nt.AddReg

;; [DriverCopyFiles.nt] ; <------ delete these lines
;; usbser.sys,,,0x20 ; <------

> As i found after googling -- ?i changed the product ID Vendor ID in
> .inf file ..as found for my gadget.
> But the problem persists.!!!

If you have used the VID/PID for other experiment, then you will got
problems. You can use usbdeview to get Windows to forget about
the VID/PID combination.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Or you can use pnputil if you have WDK.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff550419(v=vs.85).aspx

--
Xiaofan

2011-03-22 05:30:08

by nidhi mittal hada

Thanks a Lot ..
I have got it working ....i tried changing afew string mentioned at
the end of inf file ...
as according to my device ...Beagleboard Netchip development board ....

and it worked well...

Thanks ...one more doubt .........

could you please tell What is the maximum speed we can get from the
usb-serial transmission in bits/sec ............?

Nidhi

--
Thanks & Regards
Nidhi Mittal Hada

http://nidhi-searchingmyself.blogspot.com/

2011-03-22 17:07:00

by Greg KH

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:59:43AM +0530, nidhi mittal hada wrote:
> could you please tell What is the maximum speed we can get from the
> usb-serial transmission in bits/sec ............?

That depends on your hardware. Test it yourself and see.

good luck,

greg k-h