2011-02-15 06:53:13

by Corentin Chary

Subject: Should asus-wmi provide a way to switch displays, and why video_output class is unused

Hi,
In the ongoing effort to split eeepc-wmi, and add support for Asus WMI
capable notebooks, I found that some of them are able to control
dispay output.
Currently, asus-laptop, asus_acpi and eeepc-laptop are also all able
to do that, and they use a simple sysfs file with a bitmask to do
that.

Now, I was searching the right, generic way to do that, and I found
video_output class. The issue is that nobody, even acpi/video.ko, use
it.

So, what's the right way to do that ?

Note, that in my case, I can't know what output are available, so
anyway, using video_output would be a little tricky. But still, I'm
not really comfortable adding another cryptic sysfs file, even with
proper documentation in Docuementation/ABI/.

Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net

2011-02-21 20:24:13

by Matthew Garrett

Thought I'd replied to this already, but: Unless it's impossible for X
and the kernel to handle enabling a display without this, don't bother.
There's no reason for us to care about the combinations of outputs the
BIOS wants to support.

--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]