2010-06-01 10:20:55

by Richard Hartmann

Subject: Re: [Patch] fix packet loss and massive ping spikes with PPP multi-link

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 04:16, Paul Mackerras <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'll
> ack it and hopefully DaveM will pick it up.

As 2.6.35-rc1 is out, does this mean that we are looking at 2.6.36 at the
earliest? Or could this make it in as it is

a) a bug fix
b) tested in the field
c) a small change

Thanks,
Richard

2010-06-01 11:19:16

by Ben McKeegan

Richard Hartmann wrote:

> As 2.6.35-rc1 is out, does this mean that we are looking at 2.6.36 at the
> earliest? Or could this make it in as it is
>
> a) a bug fix

This isn't really a bug fix. Its a behavioural change to work around
poor quality/mismatched underlying PPP channels.

Regards,
Ben.

2010-06-01 11:29:05

by Richard Hartmann

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:18, Ben McKeegan <[email protected]> wrote:

> This isn't really a bug fix.  Its a behavioural change to work around poor
> quality/mismatched underlying PPP channels.

Maybe not a bug in the Linux kernel itself, but certainly in the real world
that exists around Linux. Similar to how a change to a device driver that
is needed to work around broken hardware is a bug fix, imo.

RIchard

2010-06-01 22:15:05

by David Miller

From: Richard Hartmann <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:28:59 +0200

> Maybe not a bug in the Linux kernel itself, but certainly in the real world
> that exists around Linux. Similar to how a change to a device driver that
> is needed to work around broken hardware is a bug fix, imo.

It's not the same situation at all.

It is easier to fix misconfigured products that exist because of
software and configurations than it is to fix a physical piece of
hardware.

So you could work around it if you wanted to.

I definitely don't see this as -stable material, as a result. We will
push it to net-next-2.6 and it will thus hit 2.6.36 as previously
mentioned.