2007-06-01 12:21:44

by Michal Piotrowski

Subject: Re: [2/3] 2.6.22-rc3: known regressions v2

Hi all,

Here is a list of some known regressions in 2.6.22-rc3.

Feel free to add new regressions/remove fixed etc.
http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions

PCMCIA

Subject : libata and legacy ide pcmcia failure

SATA/PATA

Subject : 22-rc3 broke the CDROM in Dell notebook

SCSI

Subject : aacraid: adapter kernel panic'd fffffffd (kexec)

Sparc64

Subject : 2.6.22-rc broke X on Ultra5

Regards,
Michal

--
"Najbardziej brakowa?o mi twojego milczenia."
-- Andrzej Sapkowski "Co? wi?cej"

2007-06-01 16:03:06

by Andrew Morton

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:20:55 +0200 Michal Piotrowski <[email protected]> wrote:

> SCSI
>
> Subject : aacraid: adapter kernel panic'd fffffffd (kexec)

Mark's aacraid-fix-shutdown-handler-to-also-disable-interrupts.patch is
known to fix this, so we can move this to "known regressions with patches"

2007-06-01 18:13:28

by Vivek Goyal

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 09:01:15AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:20:55 +0200 Michal Piotrowski <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > SCSI
> >
> > Subject : aacraid: adapter kernel panic'd fffffffd (kexec)
>
> Mark's aacraid-fix-shutdown-handler-to-also-disable-interrupts.patch is
> known to fix this, so we can move this to "known regressions with patches"

Hi Andrew,

aacraid-fix-shutdown-handler-to-also-disable-interrupts.patch is meant
to ensure that we don't perform an unnecessary reset of the device
during a kexec boot. During kexec, we perform the device_shutdown()
which should bring the device to a known sane state and a reset is
not required while next kernel is coming up.

I think this fix just masks Yinghai's problem and as such does not
fix the root cause of the problem. In his case a software reset
of the card is not successful and this is a problem. This problem
will become visible during kdump.

So I would think that this regression is still there just that got
shifted from kexec to kdump.

But we do need above patch to make sure kexec boot is fast and does
not perform any unrequired device reset.

Thanks
Vivek

2007-06-01 18:24:48

by Mark Salyzyn

Agree, but overstated somewhat.

The card in question that the regression is reported against is not a
released card and as such could have a flawed environment, Hardware,
Firmware or other Incompatibility. The fix for the root cause will
likely not touch the driver or the kernel.

It does raise the specter of a possible follow-on patch to address the
root cause under kdump should we determine that the problem can not be
solved in time of release of the Firmware of the current pre-released
card or if we discover that other released cards have a similar Firmware
or Hardware bug. Speculation such as these do not belong on kernel
regression reports IMHO.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

2007-06-01 19:55:17

by Yinghai Lu

On 6/1/07, Salyzyn, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Agree, but overstated somewhat.
>
> The card in question that the regression is reported against is not a
> released card and as such could have a flawed environment, Hardware,
> Firmware or other Incompatibility. The fix for the root cause will
> likely not touch the driver or the kernel

So aacraid.reset_devices=1 works with Vivek's test system?

YH