2001-12-20 19:28:19

by Dana Lacoste

Subject: RE: Changing KB, MB, and GB to KiB, MiB, and GiB in Configure.hel p.

> Everyone I know has been using KB/MB/GB for 1024 forever.

Ahhh, now I see the problem. You don't know many people :) :) :) :) :)

> The *only* exception is networking, and the occasional FLASH/ROM size.

bullshit.

check out any recent hard drive :

drive size = 40235MB*
* 1MB = 1000000 Bytes

there is _no_ standard for what 1MB means. There is a LOT of
confusion, and most places will accept both

for example, the gnu ls command has :
-h, --human-readable print sizes in human readable format (e.g., 1K 234M
2G)
--si likewise, but use powers of 1000 not 1024

This move might look weird, but in 6 months nobody will even remember
the change happening. Less ambiguity is a Good Thing :)

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada

2001-12-21 12:41:27

by Juergen Sawinski

(Have a look at http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/outside.html.)

Strictly speaking, "Byte" is actually a prefix, too. A prefix of the
number "1" - however, a prefix with a context. "bit", "rad" and others
are not real units, they are more like "context descriptions" off the
number "1".

I think, the prefixes "...T,G,M,k,m,?..." should be taken, as they were
for a long time: context specific.

IMAO, if there is any sane way of defining this, it is by giving a base
as index (like the log function). In case of bit, Byte etc. -as they
already define a context- the base is always 2. In case of SI Base
Units, the base is 10.

But that's only my 0.5 Nibble cents/bit (oh, I mean Euro cents/bit).

George

P.S.: What's about using mole?

[...]

--
Juergen Sawinski
Max-Planck-Institute for Medical Research

Phone: +49-6221-486-309
Fax: +49-6221-486-325

priv.
Phone: +49-6221-418 848