2001-12-21 12:24:27

by Bob Tracy

Subject: sr: unaligned transfer

Anyone else seeing this? With kernel version 2.5.1, I get several
instances of

sr: unaligned transfer

followed by

Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

whenever I try to mount a CD-ROM. This is something new with 2.5.1
(probably the new bio code), as all prior kernel versions (non-pre)
work fine. SCSI driver is aic7xxx.

Bob Tracy WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: sr: unaligned transfer

On Fri, Dec 21 2001, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> Anyone else seeing this? With kernel version 2.5.1, I get several
> instances of
>
> sr: unaligned transfer
>
> followed by
>
> Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
>
> whenever I try to mount a CD-ROM. This is something new with 2.5.1
> (probably the new bio code), as all prior kernel versions (non-pre)
> work fine. SCSI driver is aic7xxx.

What fs? Older sr padded front and back of request to correctly align
it, but I removed that code. Please try and mount with -o loop instead.

--
Jens Axboe

2001-12-21 13:43:31

by Alex

Subject: conclusion: arp.c *must* be (still) defective

Dear Mailing List,

I'm having great problems with ARP. Frankly, kernel 2.4.16 never gets the
proper arp address of the next-hop-router, no matter what I try.

My equipment:

Suse 7.3 , kernel upgraded to 2.4.16
3com 3c509-b tx isapnp ethcard eth0
msi-something geforce2mx 200
sb16 isapnp
thunderbird 1.2 ghz
gigabyte 7ixe4 motherboard
512 mb ram @ 100 mhz fsb

I can only ping the IP of the network card itself.

Whenever I ping my nexthop router (ip: x.x.x.1) i get a pause of a few
seconds, then a whole sequence of "Destination unreachable".
Looking at the arp cache using "arp -a", I see that the arp cache is
always incomplete (always KEEPS being incomplete).

Any clue is greatly appreciated, but I do suspect that the kernel 2.4.16's
ARP code is buggy since Win98 , win2k etc works flawlessly.

Yours

Alex

2001-12-21 14:37:46

by Dana Lacoste

Subject: RE: conclusion: arp.c *must* be (still) defective

Moving to linux-net because it's more appropriate there, don't you think?

it works fine for me. Maybe you can give some more info on just
exactly what you're doing and what's failing?

# uname -r
2.4.16
# netstat -rn|grep 0.0.0.0
(edited :)
0.0.0.0 172.22.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 40 0 0
eth0
# arp 172.22.1.1
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface
172.22.1.1 ether 00:60:97:05:91:3A C eth0
# ping 172.22.1.1
PING 172.22.1.1 (172.22.1.1): 56 octets data
64 octets from 172.22.1.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=255 time=0.4 ms
--- 172.22.1.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.4/0.4/0.4 ms

by Alan

> Whenever I ping my nexthop router (ip: x.x.x.1) i get a pause of a few
> seconds, then a whole sequence of "Destination unreachable".
> Looking at the arp cache using "arp -a", I see that the arp cache is
> always incomplete (always KEEPS being incomplete).

Sounds like you have the card on the wrong port or the IRQ not set in the
BIOS to be routed to ISA

2001-12-21 18:53:09

by Alex

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Whenever I ping my nexthop router (ip: x.x.x.1) i get a pause of a few
> > seconds, then a whole sequence of "Destination unreachable".
> > Looking at the arp cache using "arp -a", I see that the arp cache is
> > always incomplete (always KEEPS being incomplete).
>
> Sounds like you have the card on the wrong port or the IRQ not set in the
> BIOS to be routed to ISA

Sir! It's PLUG AND PLAY! Isapnp! I ought not to care about IRQ or Bios?

Yours

Alex

2001-12-21 18:54:59

by Alex

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Dana Lacoste wrote:

> Moving to linux-net because it's more appropriate there, don't you think?

Dana : That depends! I think it might be a "thingie" between
isa-plugandplay and arp.c/netcode .... its a isa-plugandplaycard....

2001-12-21 20:07:43

by Bob Tracy

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21 2001, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> > sr: unaligned transfer
> > Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
>
> What fs?

iso9660.

> Please try and mount with -o loop instead.

??? Sorry if I'm being dense, but the file system is on a physical
CD: it isn't an image file. The mount command that has worked for me
in the past is

mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt -r

The sr1 device isn't a typo: it's my cd writer.

Bob Tracy WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org

by Svein Ove Aas

On Friday 21. December 2001 21:06, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Please try and mount with -o loop instead.
>
> ??? Sorry if I'm being dense, but the file system is on a physical
> CD: it isn't an image file. The mount command that has worked for me
> in the past is
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt -r
>
> The sr1 device isn't a typo: it's my cd writer.

I wouldn't presume to think I know the details here, but as far as I can tell
the plain mount command treats it like a device, while using the loop device
treats it like a file.

It should still be possible to read from the CD like normal, but any
CD-specific fucntions will likely be disabled, although those are probably
implemented as ioctls anyway.

So.. try it, and see what you get.

2001-12-21 22:08:53

by Jens Axboe

On Fri, Dec 21 2001, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 21 2001, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> > > sr: unaligned transfer
> > > Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
> >
> > What fs?
>
> iso9660.
>
> > Please try and mount with -o loop instead.
>
> ??? Sorry if I'm being dense, but the file system is on a physical
> CD: it isn't an image file. The mount command that has worked for me
> in the past is
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr1 /mnt -r
>
> The sr1 device isn't a typo: it's my cd writer.

mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /mnt

--
Jens Axboe

2001-12-22 00:11:33

by Bob Tracy

Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21 2001, Bob_Tracy wrote:
> > Jens Axboe wrote:
> >
> > > Please try and mount with -o loop instead.
>
> mount -o loop -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /mnt

I still get the "sr: unaligned transfer" message, and as an added bonus,
the mount hangs... Can't interrupt it, can't kill it :-(.

Next? :-)

Bob Tracy WTO + WIPO = DMCA? http://www.anti-dmca.org

by Alan

> > Sounds like you have the card on the wrong port or the IRQ not set in the
> > BIOS to be routed to ISA
>
> Sir! It's PLUG AND PLAY! Isapnp! I ought not to care about IRQ or Bios?

IMHO you have an overdeveloped faith in technology 8)

Things to check

1. Does tcpdump show anything if you ping the box from another machine
2. Is the link light on
3. Does the irq count in /proc/interrupts for the card rise
appropriately ?
4. What does the 3c5x9 diagnostic tool say (http://www.scyld.com)

The reason I ask is that Linux 2.2 and on some platforms 2.4 will be relying
on BIOS IRQ routing where Windows 9x will do the work itself. So I've seen
precisely these symptoms before