2002-01-15 01:08:32

by Amit Gupta

Subject: arpd not working in 2.4.17 or 2.5.1

Hi All,

I am running 2.5.1 kernel on a 2 AMD processor system and have enable
routing messages, netlink and arpd support inside kernel as described in
arpd docs.

Then after making 36 character devices, when I run arpd, it's starts up
but always keeps silent (strace) and the kernel also does not keep it's
256 arp address limit.

Pls help fix it, I need linux to be able to talk to more than 1024
clients.

Thanks in Advance.

Amit

by Luigi Genoni

Subject: Re: arpd not working in 2.4.17 or 2.5.1

Latest kernel I saw working with arpd (user space daemon) I am manteining
is 2.2.16, then from 2.4.4 (for 2.4 series), some changes were done to
kernel so that the kernel does not talk correctly with the device
/dev/arpd anymore.
It is not the first time I write about this on lkml, but it seems none is
interested in manteining the kernel space component for arpd support.
I did some investigation, but the code for arpd support itself inside of
the kernel seems to be ok, something else is wrong with neighour.c.

So at less I can say the user space daemon works well on 2.2.16 I have
around ;).

Luigi

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Amit Gupta wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am running 2.5.1 kernel on a 2 AMD processor system and have enable
> routing messages, netlink and arpd support inside kernel as described in
> arpd docs.
>
> Then after making 36 character devices, when I run arpd, it's starts up
> but always keeps silent (strace) and the kernel also does not keep it's
> 256 arp address limit.
>
> Pls help fix it, I need linux to be able to talk to more than 1024
> clients.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Amit
> [email protected]
>

> -

by Amit Gupta

But arp>1024 is Very Important, else linux will never be able to talk to more
than 1024 clients !

Linux is my favourite and I wonder if this limit will kill linux for the race
with Solaris/M$ server market. So pls save me :) and help neighour.c/network
layer in new kernel.

Thanks in Advance.

Luigi Genoni wrote:

> Latest kernel I saw working with arpd (user space daemon) I am manteining
> is 2.2.16, then from 2.4.4 (for 2.4 series), some changes were done to
> kernel so that the kernel does not talk correctly with the device
> /dev/arpd anymore.
> It is not the first time I write about this on lkml, but it seems none is
> interested in manteining the kernel space component for arpd support.
> I did some investigation, but the code for arpd support itself inside of
> the kernel seems to be ok, something else is wrong with neighour.c.
>
> So at less I can say the user space daemon works well on 2.2.16 I have
> around ;).
>
> Luigi
>
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Amit Gupta wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am running 2.5.1 kernel on a 2 AMD processor system and have enable
> > routing messages, netlink and arpd support inside kernel as described in
> > arpd docs.
> >
> > Then after making 36 character devices, when I run arpd, it's starts up
> > but always keeps silent (strace) and the kernel also does not keep it's
> > 256 arp address limit.
> >
> > Pls help fix it, I need linux to be able to talk to more than 1024
> > clients.
> >
> > Thanks in Advance.
> >
> > Amit
> > [email protected]
> >

> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Dana Lacoste

I have a 2.4 compatible arpd running, but with our
company being bought by a big US software company
I'm having trouble convincing management to allow
the GPL release. It's becoming very important so
I'm hopeful that I'll be successful shortly, but
until then I have to be quiet :)

--
Dana Lacoste - Linux Developer
Peregrine Systems - Ottawa, Canada

(Note that Peregrine acquired Loran, and [email protected]
is an email address of a former employee, so i'm kind of
the relevant person to talk to for arpd stuff, because that
other address won't work :)

by Alan

> But arp>1024 is Very Important, else linux will never be able to talk to more
> than 1024 clients !
>
> Linux is my favourite and I wonder if this limit will kill linux for the race
> with Solaris/M$ server market. So pls save me :) and help neighour.c/network
> layer in new kernel.

ARP applies for local links only. So you need a network you are actively
talking to 1024 different hosts directly on. Furthermore all the
config items should now be soft anyway. Want more, enable more.

2002-01-16 11:50:37

by Luigi Genoni

How are you managing /dev/arpd?
It seems that the kernel is not behaving correctly with this device

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > But arp>1024 is Very Important, else linux will never be able to talk to more
> > than 1024 clients !
> >
> > Linux is my favourite and I wonder if this limit will kill linux for the race
> > with Solaris/M$ server market. So pls save me :) and help neighour.c/network
> > layer in new kernel.
>
> ARP applies for local links only. So you need a network you are actively
> talking to 1024 different hosts directly on. Furthermore all the
> config items should now be soft anyway. Want more, enable more.

To have this kind of network is not impossible at all, I received mail
from people at intel who are dealing with around 5000 arp (they say).
In this situation with arpd there was no sensible performance loss, right
now there is a big slowdown.

2002-01-16 14:06:58

by Dana Lacoste

Right now it's fully working with 2.4.9, i'll put
2.4.17 on there and see what it does :)

We do have more than 1024 systems dircetly connected using switches.. and I am
working on getting a "lsf linux server master", which requires to open connections
all the machines in almost every second or so. Everthing works fine but as soon as
the master daemon tries to connect to systems >1024.. arp kills it with

Jan 15 08:54:08 lx-master kernel: NET: 464 messages suppressed.
Jan 15 08:54:08 lx-master kernel: Neighbour table overflow.
Jan 15 08:54:08 lx-master last message repeated 9 times
Jan 15 08:54:54 lx-master kernel: NET: 442 messages suppressed.
Jan 15 08:54:54 lx-master kernel: Neighbour table overflow.
Jan 15 08:54:54 lx-master last message repeated 8 times
Jan 15 08:56:24 lx-master kernel: NET: 443 messages suppressed.
Jan 15 08:56:24 lx-master kernel: Neighbour table overflow.

-Amit

Luigi Genoni wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > But arp>1024 is Very Important, else linux will never be able to talk to more
> > > than 1024 clients !
> > >
> > > Linux is my favourite and I wonder if this limit will kill linux for the race
> > > with Solaris/M$ server market. So pls save me :) and help neighour.c/network
> > > layer in new kernel.
> >
> > ARP applies for local links only. So you need a network you are actively
> > talking to 1024 different hosts directly on. Furthermore all the
> > config items should now be soft anyway. Want more, enable more.
>
> To have this kind of network is not impossible at all, I received mail
> from people at intel who are dealing with around 5000 arp (they say).
> In this situation with arpd there was no sensible performance loss, right
> now there is a big slowdown.

2002-01-16 21:17:33

by Amit Gupta

btw: I get some warning messages when I compile arpd 1.0.4 on 2.4.*
kernel. just wondering if this might also contribute to the problem.

root@lx-master:~/arpd-1.0.4# make
gcc -O6 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DARPD_VERSION=\"1.0.4\"
arpd.c -o arpd
arpd.c: In function `arpd_walk_procfs':
arpd.c:272: warning: long unsigned int format, unsigned int arg (arg 4)
root@lx-master:~/arpd-1.0.4# ls -la arpd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 16636 Jan 16 13:10 arpd*

for
arpd.c: line 266-274
void arpd_walk_procfs(struct arpd_request * request, void * foo)
{
struct in_addr inaddr;

inaddr.s_addr = request->ip;
fprintf(stderr, "Tbl: %s (%08lx)\n",
inet_ntoa(inaddr), ntohl(request->ip));
return;
}

Dana Lacoste wrote:

> Right now it's fully working with 2.4.9, i'll put
> 2.4.17 on there and see what it does :)

2002-01-17 19:50:04

by Alexey Kuznetsov

Hello!

> the master daemon tries to connect to systems >1024.. arp kills it with

Make echo 2048 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_thresh3
and live in peace.

arpd will _not_ help you at all. Without tuning above you are lost
in any case, with this tuning arpd is useless.

Not quite useless though, but its task has nothing to do with
size of table. Its task is reducing broadcasting on LAN, which is
importnat but a second order effect yet. Well, you can use arpd
from iproute2.

Alexey