2006-08-22 19:25:26

by Ju, Seokmann

Subject: HELP: GIT Cloning failed

Hi,

Recently, I found that cloning from GIT server has been failed.
I'm using following script for it.
---
rm -r /home/git/kernels/2.4/linux-2.4.git
cg-clone
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/marcelo/linux-2.4.git/
/home/git/kernels/2.4/linux-2.4.git/
sync
rm -r /home/git/kernels/2.4/linux-2.6.git
cg-clone
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/
/home/git/kernels/2.4/linux-2.6.git/
sync
rm -r /home/git/kernels/2.4/scsi-misc-2.6.git
cg-clone
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/marcelo/scsi-misc-2.6.git
/home/git/kernels/2.4/scsi-misc-2.6.git
sync
---

In the script, I'm cloning 3 different sources. First two sources
getting successfully cloned, however, last one is getting failed with
following error messages,
---
Fetching head...
Fetching objects...
Getting alternates list for
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6.git
Also look at http://www.kernel.or
Error: The requested URL returned error: 502 (curl_result = 22,
http_code = 502, sha1 = 1039f0760e...)
Getting pack list for
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6.git/
Getting pack list for http://www.kernel.or
Error: The requested URL returned error: 502
Error: Unable to find 27fd37621... Under
http://www.kernel.org/pub/scsm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6.git/
Cannot obtain needed blob 27fd37621...
While processing commit 4041b9cd87...
Progress: 8 objects, 13120 bytes
Cg-fetch: objects fetch failed
---

Above script worked without any problem when I started several months
ago and I'm not sure when did it stop working.
I'm using _cron_ utility on my Linux box for scheduled execution of the
script.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Seokmann

2006-08-22 20:08:26

by Sean

Subject: Re: HELP: GIT Cloning failed

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:25:23 -0600
"Ju, Seokmann" <[email protected]> wrote:

Ju,

> Above script worked without any problem when I started several months
> ago and I'm not sure when did it stop working.
> I'm using _cron_ utility on my Linux box for scheduled execution of the
> script.
>
> Any comment would be appreciated.

It looks like the jejb scsi-misc archive might not have been
configured properly for http transfers. There's a script below
which just uses git commands (not cogito) and the native git
protocol which tests out okay here.

A few comments though:

- Apparently the scsi misc tree you want is actually under "jejb"
rather than "marcelo" which you had in your script.

- It's better to use the native git protocol when possible
(well, the benefits are less on initial clone, but it's still
a good practice)

- You're causing a lot of unnecessary traffic for kernel.org by
cloning a fresh copy of all these trees, it would be much better
to clone just _once_ and then simply "git pull" in any updates.

- Two of the trees you're cloning are very close in content to
each other (linux-2.6 & scsi-misc-2.6) so you can use the git
"--reference" option to share local objects saving disk space
(and reducing bandwidth needs even further)

Cheers,
Sean

#!/bin/sh
cd /home/git/kernels/2.4 || exit
BASE="git://http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git"
rm -rf linux-2.4 linux-2.6 scsi-misc-2.6
git clone $BASE/marcelo/linux-2.4
git clone $BASE/torvalds/linux-2.6
git clone --reference linux-2.6 $BASE/jejb/scsi-misc-2.6

2006-08-22 20:24:59

by Ju, Seokmann

Hi,
On Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:08 PM, Sean wrote:
> It looks like the jejb scsi-misc archive might not have been
> configured properly for http transfers. There's a script below
> which just uses git commands (not cogito) and the native git
> protocol which tests out okay here.
I will try with the script and rest of your comments as well.
Thank you for your guidence.

Regards,

Seokmann

2006-08-22 21:08:26

by Phillip Susi

Is there a reason that you regularly delete and re-download the entire
repository, rather than simply doing a git pull to update your existing
clone?