2013-03-26 17:40:20

by Mike Keehan

Subject: Git bisect problem

Hi,

I'm trying to find out which update causes my 5G Wifi
connection to time out when authenticating.

Following the instructions in git help bisect, I
git cloned the kernel, then git bisect start, and
git bisect bad v3.9.0-rc2.

This errors with :-
fatal: Needed a single revision
Bad rev input: v3.9.0-rc2

and git bisect good v3.9.0-rc1 gives same error.

How are you supposed to specify the revision?

Regards,

Mike.

2013-03-26 17:48:27

by Josh Boyer

Subject: Re: Git bisect problem

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM, Mike Keehan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out which update causes my 5G Wifi
> connection to time out when authenticating.
>
> Following the instructions in git help bisect, I
> git cloned the kernel, then git bisect start, and
> git bisect bad v3.9.0-rc2.
>
> This errors with :-
> fatal: Needed a single revision
> Bad rev input: v3.9.0-rc2
>
> and git bisect good v3.9.0-rc1 gives same error.
>
> How are you supposed to specify the revision?

It has to match a tag name if you're doing that. So it would be:

git bisect good v3.9-rc1; git bisect bad v3.9-rc2

Note the lack of .0.

josh

2013-03-26 17:49:26

by Markus Trippelsdorf

On 2013.03.26 at 16:22 +0000, Mike Keehan wrote:
> I'm trying to find out which update causes my 5G Wifi
> connection to time out when authenticating.
>
> Following the instructions in git help bisect, I
> git cloned the kernel, then git bisect start, and
> git bisect bad v3.9.0-rc2.
>
> This errors with :-
> fatal: Needed a single revision
> Bad rev input: v3.9.0-rc2
>
> and git bisect good v3.9.0-rc1 gives same error.
>
> How are you supposed to specify the revision?

Try without the ".o", e.g.: git bisect bad v3.9-rc2

--
Markus