2015-11-01 22:50:40

by Jeffrey Merkey

Subject: torvalds/linux repository on github

Linus,

Can you check your repository on github at
https://github.com/torvalds/linux. I tried to fork and clone it and
it is missing (or appears to be missing) all the subversion tags --
just has rcX candidates and major version tags (i.e. 4.1, 4.2 but
missing the 4.2.X tags).

If it would not be too much trouble to add the tags for the
subversions or point me to a repo there I can fork. I have tried to
clone linux-stable on github and it does not seem to allow that the
import hangs, I am working off linux-stable (which this git thing is
cool and works great) and I have branches and I am wondering can I
just apply branches from the linux-stable git archive to the
https://github.com/torvalds/linux git archive if I fork it into a
local repo on github.

I know you are very busy, thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

2015-11-01 23:26:24

by Andy Shevchenko

Subject: Re: torvalds/linux repository on github

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Jeffrey Merkey <[email protected]> wrote:
> Linus,
>
> Can you check your repository on github at
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux. I tried to fork and clone it and
> it is missing (or appears to be missing) all the subversion tags --
> just has rcX candidates and major version tags (i.e. 4.1, 4.2 but
> missing the 4.2.X tags).
>
> If it would not be too much trouble to add the tags for the
> subversions or point me to a repo there I can fork. I have tried to
> clone linux-stable on github and it does not seem to allow that the
> import hangs, I am working off linux-stable (which this git thing is
> cool and works great) and I have branches and I am wondering can I
> just apply branches from the linux-stable git archive to the
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux git archive if I fork it into a
> local repo on github.

I think you are on a right road. The upstream contains only two digits
version for now (vA.B), though there is a stable tree that contains
vA.B.y tags. You may use git.kernel.org to clone / pull into your
local repository.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

2015-11-02 00:08:47

by Greg KH

On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 03:50:35PM -0700, Jeffrey Merkey wrote:
> Linus,
>
> Can you check your repository on github at
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux. I tried to fork and clone it and
> it is missing (or appears to be missing) all the subversion tags --
> just has rcX candidates and major version tags (i.e. 4.1, 4.2 but
> missing the 4.2.X tags).

Those tags are not in Linus's tree, they are in the linux-stable tree,
which is a different one (linux-stable on git.kernel.org, none of us use
github for actual development.)

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

2015-11-02 00:29:53

by Jeffrey Merkey

On 11/1/15, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2015 at 03:50:35PM -0700, Jeffrey Merkey wrote:
>> Linus,
>>
>> Can you check your repository on github at
>> https://github.com/torvalds/linux. I tried to fork and clone it and
>> it is missing (or appears to be missing) all the subversion tags --
>> just has rcX candidates and major version tags (i.e. 4.1, 4.2 but
>> missing the 4.2.X tags).
>
> Those tags are not in Linus's tree, they are in the linux-stable tree,
> which is a different one (linux-stable on git.kernel.org, none of us use
> github for actual development.)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> greg k-h

That does help, thanks Greg. Well I don't plan on using github for
development either, just was looking for a place to post my patches
where folks can get to them. Google code is shutdown and Sourceforce
is ancient technology. Any suggestions other than putting a git
server online myself?

:-)

Jeff

2015-11-02 01:47:46

by Jeffrey Merkey

I'll maintain a local repo and post patches like everyone else. Sorry
for being dense.

Jeff