2000-12-21 12:56:06

by sswapnee

Subject: Mount system call hangs up the system

Hello Everybody

I am trying to mount a filesystem on Linux 2.4.0-test10 kernel using the
mount() function.
When I call this function the system just hangs up. I have to restart
linux by switching off and on.
Can somebody tell me why mount call just hangs? Is there anyway to take a
dump when
the call is being executed.

I tried looking for description about mount but couldnt find anything
helpful. I will really appreciate
if someone can share his/her experience regarding the same.

Thanks and Regards
Swapneel

P.S Please include my email id in the Cc list as I have not subscribed to
this list.

Swapneel D. Shah
IBM Global Services India Ltd,
email:[email protected]

2000-12-21 13:35:21

by Tigran Aivazian

Subject: Re: Mount system call hangs up the system

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 [email protected] wrote:
> Can somebody tell me why mount call just hangs? Is there anyway to take a
> dump when the call is being executed.

You don't need a dump. Just go to the source and start inserting
printk() statements all over the sys_mount/do_mount etc. and sooner or
later the reason for hang will become obvious. Either it is a bug in your
program or in the kernel (or both). In any case it can be fixed.

Regards,
Tigran

2000-12-21 13:53:25

by bert hubert

On Thu, Dec 21, 2000 at 05:47:10PM +0530, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> I am trying to mount a filesystem on Linux 2.4.0-test10 kernel using the
> mount() function.
> When I call this function the system just hangs up. I have to restart
> linux by switching off and on.
> Can somebody tell me why mount call just hangs? Is there anyway to take a
> dump when
> the call is being executed.

If you have a second computer available, I highly recommend using kgdbstub
which can be found on sourceforge. This gives you source level debugging in
the kernel. Just put a breakpoint in sys_mount(), or whatever it is called
and see what happens.

Linus is dead set against using a debugger in daily development but it is a
very valuable tool for quickly gaining insight.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS Versatile DNS Services