2012-05-31 00:16:30

by Ben Greear

Subject: Anyone successfully booted a custom kernel on Fedora 17?

This is probably a Fedora 17 issue..but hoping someone will have mercy on me :)

I upgraded a system to Fedora 17 (from 16), and now none of my
custom-built kernels are booting. I'm compiling the kernels on
another machine, running the 'make modules install', tarring everything
up, and then running 'mkinitrd ...' after un-tarring on the F17 machine.

The F17 machine hangs right before it should begin starting services.

I tried 3.3.7+, 3.0.32+, etc. The kernels that come with F17 boot fine.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

On 05/30/2012 05:16 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> This is probably a Fedora 17 issue..but hoping someone will have mercy on me :)

Must be something to do with my kernel config or how I generate
the initrd with mkinitrd: I tried vanilla 3.3.7 compiled and
installed with:

Copy Fedora kernel config to ./config
make -j8 bzImage modules
make modules_install
make install

(and fixed up grub2)
and it booted just fine.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Wed, 30 May 2012 20:15:35 -0700, Ben Greear said:
> On 05/30/2012 05:16 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> > This is probably a Fedora 17 issue..but hoping someone will have mercy on me :)
>
> Must be something to do with my kernel config or how I generate
> the initrd with mkinitrd:

For what it's worth, over on the Rawhide side of the fence, dracut-018-74
builds bad initramfs images for me,while dracut-081-53 works. Not sure
what release is in the F17 updates repository. I'm going to file a bug report
with Fedora soon as I figure out what -74 is doing wrong.

Attachments:
(No filename) (865.00 B)

2012-06-01 00:45:41

by Ben Greear

On 05/31/2012 05:28 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 20:15:35 -0700, Ben Greear said:
>> On 05/30/2012 05:16 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
>>> This is probably a Fedora 17 issue..but hoping someone will have mercy on me :)
>>
>> Must be something to do with my kernel config or how I generate
>> the initrd with mkinitrd:
>
> For what it's worth, over on the Rawhide side of the fence, dracut-018-74
> builds bad initramfs images for me,while dracut-081-53 works. Not sure
> what release is in the F17 updates repository. I'm going to file a bug report
> with Fedora soon as I figure out what -74 is doing wrong.

At least my problem appears to be some missing feature in the kernel, probably
one of the 'fooFS' things releated to ramdisk and/or early startup.
I enabled several things I found in the F17 .config file that were not in my
config file, and now my kernel boots, at least when I
build and install it on the F17 machine.

I'm going to try building on F13 and just (re)making the initrd on
F17 like I have been for all other distributions, but that will be
a day or two..got a release to shove out the door first!

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by

Hi,

On 31 May 2012 20:45, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 05/31/2012 05:28 PM, [email protected] wrote:

>>> Must be something to do with my kernel config or how I generate
>>> the initrd with mkinitrd:
>>

>> For what it's worth, over on the Rawhide side of the fence, dracut-018-74
>> builds bad initramfs images for me,while dracut-081-53 works.  Not sure
>> what release is in the F17 updates repository.  I'm going to file a bug
>> report
>> with Fedora soon as I figure out what -74 is doing wrong.
>

> At least my problem appears to be some missing feature in the kernel,
> probably
> one of the 'fooFS' things releated to ramdisk and/or early startup.
> I enabled several things I found in the F17 .config file that were not in my
> config file, and now my kernel boots, at least when I
> build and install it on the F17 machine.
>
> I'm going to try building on F13 and just (re)making the initrd on
> F17 like I have been for all other distributions, but that will be
> a day or two..got a release to shove out the door first!
>

> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com

This thread might help you folks.
http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/5/18/230
Urgent: x86-32 and GNU ld 2.22.52.0.1

Happy bug hunting
-p

2012-06-01 21:49:49

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 05:49:57 -0400, ? said:

> This thread might help you folks.
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2012/5/18/230
> Urgent: x86-32 and GNU ld 2.22.52.0.1

x86_64 here, so I doubt that's the problem. That, and both my working and
broken kernels were build with binutils 2.22.52.0.3 - working with gcc 4.6.2
and busted with 4.7.0.

Attachments:
(No filename) (865.00 B)