2014-06-05 18:27:12

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

Subject: Change in security maintainer for a few weeks

Hi all,

James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
to Linus for merging for a while.

I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.

But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?

thanks,

greg k-h

2014-06-05 18:38:29

by Josh Boyer

Subject: Re: Change in security maintainer for a few weeks

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> to Linus for merging for a while.
>
> I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
>
> But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?

Serge seems to have already done this?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/4/350

Confused...

josh

2014-06-05 18:47:23

by Serge E. Hallyn

Quoting Josh Boyer ([email protected]):
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > to Linus for merging for a while.
> >
> > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> >
> > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
>
> Serge seems to have already done this?
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/4/350
>
> Confused...

Yes, but (this time :) James didn't actually ask me to, so if he asked
Greg that's great. Greg, the 5 patches I added on top of James' tree
were 4 from Paul which are already in linux-next, and one (the highest
priority one out of a larger set) from Mimi. If you could add those
that would be great.

thanks,
-serge

2014-06-05 18:48:22

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 02:38:25PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > to Linus for merging for a while.
> >
> > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> >
> > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
>
> Serge seems to have already done this?
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/4/350

Ah, that's good, but wasn't sent to the linux-security-module list where
I would have noticed it :(

The patches also don't seem to have ended up in Linus's tree either
yet...

Serge, are you going to be doing this in replacement of James for a
while? What made you push these to Linus and not tell the security
list?

> Confused...

Me as well...

greg k-h

2014-06-05 18:55:17

by Serge E. Hallyn

Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 02:38:25PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > > to Linus for merging for a while.
> > >
> > > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> > >
> > > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
> >
> > Serge seems to have already done this?
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/4/350
>
> Ah, that's good, but wasn't sent to the linux-security-module list where
> I would have noticed it :(
>
> The patches also don't seem to have ended up in Linus's tree either
> yet...
>
> Serge, are you going to be doing this in replacement of James for a
> while?

I don't mind, but I definately don't mind if you do. In the past with
planned vacations James has asked me to babysit the tree, so I just
wanted to make sure it didn't get neglected. But he did not ask me,
I'm just an interloper.

> What made you push these to Linus and not tell the security
> list?

Abject failure on my part, sorry.

> > Confused...
>
> Me as well...
>
> greg k-h

by Dmitry Kasatkin

On 5 June 2014 21:30, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> to Linus for merging for a while.
>
> I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
>
> But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
>
> thanks,

Hi Greg,

Mimi sent pull request to James last week without any response...

But that is based on James' 3.14 tree..
May be Mimi need to rebase and send pull request to you..

Thanks,

- Dmitry

> greg k-h

Dmitry

2014-06-05 21:51:22

by Tetsuo Handa

Greg KH wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> to Linus for merging for a while.
>
> I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
>
> But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?

I have two patches.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-security-module&m=140122694916418&w=4
I got an ACK from each subsystem maintainer and expected it to go to
3.15-final, but seems that it can't even go to 3.16-final for unknown
reason because James is not responding. Maybe James wants this patch
reviewed by more people, but it seems to me that linux-security-module ML
itself is not working.

http://marc.info/?l=linux-security-module&m=140180521023726&w=4
It got reviewed by Paul and Serge, but seems that it can't go to
3.16-final for unknown reason.

2014-06-05 21:59:21

by Jiri Kosina

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:

> James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> to Linus for merging for a while.

As exactly this (working with active contributors to help co-maintain the
subsystem) has been brought at the ksummit maling list, I am just curious
whether noone else actively working in that area was willing to step up?

$ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl --git -f security/
James Morris <[email protected]> (supporter:SECURITY SUBSYSTEM)
Mimi Zohar <[email protected]> (commit_signer:51/220=23%)
Paul Moore <[email protected]> (commit_signer:43/220=20%,authored:24/220=11%)
Eric Paris <[email protected]> (commit_signer:43/220=20%,authored:16/220=7%)
David Howells <[email protected]> (commit_signer:29/220=13%,authored:24/220=11%)
Roberto Sassu <[email protected]> (commit_signer:24/220=11%,authored:19/220=9%)
John Johansen <[email protected]> (authored:20/220=9%)

If not, then I think this can be shown as a prime example why the problem
of "non-substituability" of many maintainers is actually real.

Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs

2014-06-05 22:39:27

by Paul Moore

On Thursday, June 05, 2014 11:59:11 PM Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:
> > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > to Linus for merging for a while.
>
> As exactly this (working with active contributors to help co-maintain the
> subsystem) has been brought at the ksummit maling list, I am just curious
> whether noone else actively working in that area was willing to step up?
>
> $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl --git -f security/
> James Morris <[email protected]> (supporter:SECURITY SUBSYSTEM)
>
> If not, then I think this can be shown as a prime example why the problem
> of "non-substituability" of many maintainers is actually real.

Once several of us became aware that James was stepping away for a few weeks
(I should mention this was not a planned absence and took most of us by
surprise) we had a brief discussion off-list and several of us did offer to
"step-up"; Serge had already created a repo and since he had pushed patches
while James was away in the past it seemed a reasonable approach this time
around.

--
paul moore
http://www.paul-moore.com

2014-06-05 22:49:33

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 06:39:09PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> On Thursday, June 05, 2014 11:59:11 PM Jiri Kosina wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:
> > > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > > to Linus for merging for a while.
> >
> > As exactly this (working with active contributors to help co-maintain the
> > subsystem) has been brought at the ksummit maling list, I am just curious
> > whether noone else actively working in that area was willing to step up?
> >
> > $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl --git -f security/
> > James Morris <[email protected]> (supporter:SECURITY SUBSYSTEM)
> >
> > If not, then I think this can be shown as a prime example why the problem
> > of "non-substituability" of many maintainers is actually real.
>
> Once several of us became aware that James was stepping away for a few weeks
> (I should mention this was not a planned absence and took most of us by
> surprise) we had a brief discussion off-list and several of us did offer to
> "step-up"; Serge had already created a repo and since he had pushed patches
> while James was away in the past it seemed a reasonable approach this time
> around.

That's great, as the communication around this has not been very much
(an non-existant on the subsystem mailing list) I was not aware of it.

If Serge wants to do this, and as he has been the stand-in for James in
the past, I have _no_ objection to this at all.

Serge, feel free to resend your patches to Linus if he doesn't pick them
up in a few days, with the information that you are doing this in
James's absence for a while.

So, that was easy, I don't have to do this at all, great.

greg k-h

2014-06-05 22:50:44

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 08:55:13PM +0200, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):

> > > Serge seems to have already done this?
> > >
> > > https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/6/4/350
> >
> > Ah, that's good, but wasn't sent to the linux-security-module list where
> > I would have noticed it :(
> >
> > The patches also don't seem to have ended up in Linus's tree either
> > yet...
> >
> > Serge, are you going to be doing this in replacement of James for a
> > while?
>
> I don't mind, but I definately don't mind if you do. In the past with
> planned vacations James has asked me to babysit the tree, so I just
> wanted to make sure it didn't get neglected. But he did not ask me,
> I'm just an interloper.

That's great, I wasn't aware of this. Feel free to keep doing this and
taking over for now. As you already have a kernel.org account, and have
done it in the past, it only makes sense for you to continue.

But next time, cc: the subsystem mailing list :)

thanks,

greg k-h

2014-06-06 03:26:15

by Mimi Zohar

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 22:52 +0300, Dmitry Kasatkin wrote:
> On 5 June 2014 21:30, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > to Linus for merging for a while.
> >
> > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> >
> > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
> >
> > thanks,
> >

> Hi Greg,
>
> Mimi sent pull request to James last week without any response...
>
> But that is based on James' 3.14 tree..
> May be Mimi need to rebase and send pull request to you..

I'm really sorry Dmitry. Unlike the SELinux patches, the integrity
patches didn't make it into linux-next. Based on Paul's suggestion,
I'll request that the linux-integrity tree be added to the list of trees
that are pulled directly into linux-next, instead of waiting for it to
go in via the security tree.

Mimi

2014-06-06 04:42:11

by Serge Hallyn

Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2014 at 06:39:09PM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > As exactly this (working with active contributors to help co-maintain the
> > > subsystem) has been brought at the ksummit maling list, I am just curious
> > > whether noone else actively working in that area was willing to step up?
> > >
> > > $ ./scripts/get_maintainer.pl --git -f security/
> > > James Morris <[email protected]> (supporter:SECURITY SUBSYSTEM)
> > >
> > > If not, then I think this can be shown as a prime example why the problem
> > > of "non-substituability" of many maintainers is actually real.
> >
> > Once several of us became aware that James was stepping away for a few weeks
> > (I should mention this was not a planned absence and took most of us by
> > surprise) we had a brief discussion off-list and several of us did offer to
> > "step-up"; Serge had already created a repo and since he had pushed patches
> > while James was away in the past it seemed a reasonable approach this time
> > around.
>
> That's great, as the communication around this has not been very much
> (an non-existant on the subsystem mailing list) I was not aware of it.
>
> If Serge wants to do this, and as he has been the stand-in for James in
> the past, I have _no_ objection to this at all.
>
> Serge, feel free to resend your patches to Linus if he doesn't pick them
> up in a few days, with the information that you are doing this in
> James's absence for a while.

Will do (and wil cc: lsm).

> So, that was easy, I don't have to do this at all, great.
>
> greg k-h

2014-06-06 15:14:51

by Casey Schaufler

On 6/5/2014 9:42 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):

>>> Once several of us became aware that James was stepping away for a few weeks
>>> (I should mention this was not a planned absence and took most of us by
>>> surprise) we had a brief discussion off-list and several of us did offer to
>>> "step-up"; Serge had already created a repo and since he had pushed patches
>>> while James was away in the past it seemed a reasonable approach this time
>>> around.
>> That's great, as the communication around this has not been very much
>> (an non-existant on the subsystem mailing list) I was not aware of it.
>>
>> If Serge wants to do this, and as he has been the stand-in for James in
>> the past, I have _no_ objection to this at all.
>>
>> Serge, feel free to resend your patches to Linus if he doesn't pick them
>> up in a few days, with the information that you are doing this in
>> James's absence for a while.
> Will do (and wil cc: lsm).
>
>> So, that was easy, I don't have to do this at all, great.
>>
>> greg k-h

How can I verify that the pull James accepted from me is
moving forward somehow? Or, if it isn't, where does it go now?

On Thu, 15 May 2014, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> The following changes since commit f64410ec665479d7b4b77b7519e814253ed0f686:
>
> selinux: correctly label /proc inodes in use before the policy is loaded (2014-03-19 16:46:18 -0400)
>
> are available in the git repository at:
>
> git://git.gitorious.org/smack-next/kernel.git smack-for-3.16
>
> for you to fetch changes up to ec554fa75ec94dcf47e52db9551755679c10235b:

Thanks, pulled.

-- James Morris <[email protected]>

by Serge E. Hallyn

Quoting Casey Schaufler ([email protected]):
> On 6/5/2014 9:42 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):

> >> That's great, as the communication around this has not been very much
> >> (an non-existant on the subsystem mailing list) I was not aware of it.
> >>
> >> If Serge wants to do this, and as he has been the stand-in for James in
> >> the past, I have _no_ objection to this at all.
> >>
> >> Serge, feel free to resend your patches to Linus if he doesn't pick them
> >> up in a few days, with the information that you are doing this in
> >> James's absence for a while.
> > Will do (and wil cc: lsm).
> >
> >> So, that was easy, I don't have to do this at all, great.
> >>
> >> greg k-h
>
> How can I verify that the pull James accepted from me is
> moving forward somehow? Or, if it isn't, where does it go now?

You can see it at
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sergeh/linux-security.git/log/security/smack?h=serge-next-1
As Greg suggested if Linus doesn't pull it in a few days I will resend
the pull request.

2014-06-06 15:41:09

by Casey Schaufler

On 6/6/2014 8:23 AM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Casey Schaufler ([email protected]):
>> On 6/5/2014 9:42 PM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
>>> Quoting Greg KH ([email protected]):

>>> Will do (and wil cc: lsm).

>> How can I verify that the pull James accepted from me is
>> moving forward somehow? Or, if it isn't, where does it go now?
> You can see it at
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/sergeh/linux-security.git/log/security/smack?h=serge-next-1
> As Greg suggested if Linus doesn't pull it in a few days I will resend
> the pull request.

Looks great. Thanks.

2014-06-10 05:19:01

by James Morris

On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> to Linus for merging for a while.
>
> I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
>
> But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?

Thanks for stepping up.

I had to take urgent leave and was unable to access email until this week.

We really should have a co-maintainer for the security subsystem -- please
feel free to nominate someone.

There are several good candidates, including Serge, Kees and Paul Moore.

- James
--
James Morris
<[email protected]>

2014-06-10 20:19:52

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 03:20:15PM +1000, James Morris wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > to Linus for merging for a while.
> >
> > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> >
> > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
> >

> Thanks for stepping up.
>
> I had to take urgent leave and was unable to access email until this week.
>
> We really should have a co-maintainer for the security subsystem -- please
> feel free to nominate someone.
>
> There are several good candidates, including Serge, Kees and Paul Moore.

As Serge has done it in the past when you are on vacation, I suggest he
continue doing it.

thanks,

greg k-h

2014-06-11 01:34:48

by Mimi Zohar

On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 13:23 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 03:20:15PM +1000, James Morris wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Jun 2014, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > James has had to step back from doing kernel work for a few weeks, so
> > > I've offered to step up and handle the security patches to get shuttled
> > > to Linus for merging for a while.
> > >
> > > I'll take his git tree on kernel.org and push those to Linus for
> > > 3.16-rc1, as those look like they have had proper testing in linux-next.
> > >
> > > But there only seems to be 14 patches in there. Are there pending
> > > patches that people have been sending and need to get in besides those?
> > >

> > Thanks for stepping up.
> >
> > I had to take urgent leave and was unable to access email until this week.
> >
> > We really should have a co-maintainer for the security subsystem -- please
> > feel free to nominate someone.
> >
> > There are several good candidates, including Serge, Kees and Paul Moore.
>
> As Serge has done it in the past when you are on vacation, I suggest he
> continue doing it.

As long as Serge agrees, that sounds good.

Mimi

2014-06-11 02:49:47

by Serge E. Hallyn

Quoting Mimi Zohar ([email protected]):
> On Tue, 2014-06-10 at 13:23 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Thanks for stepping up.
> > >
> > > I had to take urgent leave and was unable to access email until this week.
> > >
> > > We really should have a co-maintainer for the security subsystem -- please
> > > feel free to nominate someone.
> > >
> > > There are several good candidates, including Serge, Kees and Paul Moore.
> >
> > As Serge has done it in the past when you are on vacation, I suggest he
> > continue doing it.
>
> As long as Serge agrees, that sounds good.

Sure, happy to do help however I can.

-serge