2013-09-22 20:11:22

by Thiago Farina

Subject: throuble installing kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to install the kernel from the source.

So I did:

$ cp /boot/config-3.2.0-29-generic-pae .config

And run:

$ make localmodconfig

Then it says:

using config: '.config'
module lpc_ich did not have configs CONFIG_LPC_ICH
module hid_generic did not have configs CONFIG_HID_GENERIC
*
* Restart config...
*
*
* General setup
*
Cross-compiler tool prefix (CROSS_COMPILE) []
Compile also drivers which will not load (COMPILE_TEST) [N/y/?] (NEW)

What I'm doing wrong? I want it to use my .config, I don't want to
answer all the thousands questions it prompts me (I don't know all the
options to know what should go and what should not, hence I want it to
use my current configuration).

My .config is attached.

--
Thiago Farina

Attachments:
.config (179.48 kB)

2013-09-22 21:17:04

by Varad Gautam

Subject: RE: throuble installing kernel

> What I'm doing wrong? I want it to use my .config, I don't want to
> answer all the thousands questions it prompts me (I don't know all the
> options to know what should go and what should not, hence I want it to
> use my current configuration).

Hi! If you want to use the existing .config file, you should use `make oldconfig` instead. It may still prompt for options not in the file; to use the default ones, just do `yes "" | make oldconfig`. -

2013-09-22 21:32:54

by Thiago Farina

Hi Varad,

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Varad Gautam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What I'm doing wrong? I want it to use my .config, I don't want to
>> answer all the thousands questions it prompts me (I don't know all the
>> options to know what should go and what should not, hence I want it to
>> use my current configuration).
>
> Hi! If you want to use the existing .config file, you should use `make oldconfig` instead. It may still prompt for options not in the file; to use the default ones, just do `yes "" | make oldconfig`.
Yeah, it still prompts me, which is annoying. But anyway, I'll try
your suggestion.

Thanks!

--
Thiago Farina