2012-02-24 13:02:04

by Peter Fodrek

Subject: Resening: KGDB over Ethternet howto patch

Dear Linux kernel developpers,

I would like to ask you how to debug linux kernel over etherent.
We are designing aplication usaig RTAI (Hard realtime extension using kenrel
patch too) and we have been found some problems in our Linux kernel module.

This module serves a hard realime RTAI application and we are to debug it
using Ethernet insatead of RS232/RS485 or other UART port as is possible
out of box. We are familiar to use gdb as weel as for remote debuging of the
usewr space application but not debuging kernel.

Excuse me if I am sending messige to the wrong mailing list, please?

I look forward hearing from you

Yours faithfully

Peter Fodrek
Institute of Control and Industrial Informatics
Faculty of Electrical Enginering and Information Technology
Slovak University of Technology at Bratislava

2012-02-24 13:16:30

by Pekka Enberg

Subject: Re: Resening: KGDB over Ethternet howto patch

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would like to ask you how to debug linux kernel over etherent.
> We are designing aplication usaig RTAI (Hard realtime extension using kenrel
> patch too) and we have been found some problems in our Linux kernel module.
>
> This module serves a hard realime RTAI application and we are to debug it
> using Ethernet insatead of RS232/RS485 or other UART port as is ?possible
> out of box. We are familiar to use gdb as weel as for remote debuging of the
> usewr space application but not debuging kernel.
>
> Excuse me if I am sending messige to the wrong mailing list, please?

There's some traces of "kgdboe" in mainline code but I don't think
that feature was ever merged.

Pekka

2012-02-24 13:47:52

by Hillf Danton

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> This module serves a hard realime RTAI application and we are to debug it
> using Ethernet insatead of RS232/RS485 or other UART port as is  possible
> out of box. We are familiar to use gdb as weel as for remote debuging of the
> usewr space application but not debuging kernel.

Perhaps you could google KGTP, and try to be another user of it.

Good weekend
-hd

2012-02-24 19:30:47

by Peter Fodrek

Dear Linux hackers,

Thak you for all your answers. All will be helpfull for us.

On Friday 24 February 2012 15:16:10 Pekka Enberg wrote:
> There's some traces of "kgdboe" in mainline code but I don't think
> that feature was ever merged.

Therefor I am not to find out kdboe anymore.

On Friday 24 February 2012 21:47:47 Hillf Danton wrote:
> Perhaps you could google KGTP, and try to be another user of it.

This is something like what we need as I see via first look

On Friday 24 February 2012 13:55:17 Alan Cox wrote:
> netconsole is probably what you want as a starting point. It lets you use
> a ethernet device as a one way console right from early boot

This is something that we need for another work.

Thank you one again for your help

Kind regards

Peter Fodrek

2012-02-24 19:37:59

by Arnaud Lacombe

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Peter Fodrek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Linux hackers,
>
> Thak you for all your answers. All will be helpfull for us.
>
> On Friday 24 February 2012 15:16:10 Pekka Enberg wrote:
>> There's some traces of "kgdboe" in mainline code but I don't think
>> that feature was ever merged.
>
> Therefor I am not to find out kdboe anymore.

Last time I used it, it was with 2.6.32. Patches are available there:

https://github.com/lacombar/linux-2.6/tree/v2.6.32-kgdboe

Port to 3.2 is trivial. I could get the connection, break into the
gdb, but failed to set breakpoints. I did not investigate further at
the time.

- Arnaud