2019-11-20 15:26:57

by Stefan Wahren

Subject: BCM2835 maintainership

Hello,

i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.

Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
best on his way.

Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.

Regards
Stefan

2019-11-20 20:21:41

by Nicolas Saenz Julienne

Subject: Re: BCM2835 maintainership

On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 12:38 +0100, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.

Thanks for all the effort you put in! You leave the Raspberry Pi upstream in
very good shape.

Regards,
Nicolas

> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
> best on his way.
>
> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
>
> Regards
> Stefan

Attachments:
signature.asc (499.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2019-11-20 21:58:08

by Florian Fainelli

On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>
> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
> best on his way.
>
> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.

Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
MAINTAINERS file update?

Take care.
--
Florian

2019-11-21 09:58:09

by Stefan Wahren

Am 20.11.19 um 22:54 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
> On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
>> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
>> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>>
>> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
>> best on his way.
>>
>> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
>> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
> MAINTAINERS file update?

Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.

> Take care.

2019-11-21 17:44:34

by Florian Fainelli

On 11/21/19 1:56 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Am 20.11.19 um 22:54 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
>> On 11/20/19 3:38 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i need to announce that i step back as BCM2835 maintainer with the end
>>> of this year. Maintainership was a fun ride, but at the end i noticed
>>> that it needed more time for doing it properly than my available spare time.
>>>
>>> Nicolas Saenz Julienne is pleased be my successor and i wish him all the
>>> best on his way.
>>>
>>> Finally i want to thank all the countless contributors and maintainers
>>> for helping to integrate the Raspberry Pi into the mainline Kernel.
>> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
>> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
>> MAINTAINERS file update?
>
> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.

How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?

Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.

How does that sound?
--
Florian

2019-11-21 17:53:57

by Stefan Wahren

Hi Florian,

Am 21.11.19 um 18:42 schrieb Florian Fainelli:
> On 11/21/19 1:56 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:

>>> Thanks Stefan, it has been great working with you on BCM2835
>>> maintenance. Do you mind making this statement official with a
>>> MAINTAINERS file update?
>> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
>> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.
> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
>
> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
>
> How does that sound?
this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
care of it?

2019-11-21 18:06:05

by Florian Fainelli

On 11/21/19 9:51 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Am 21.11.19 um 18:42 schrieb Florian Fainelli:

>>> Sure, but first we should define the future BCM2835 git repo. I like to
>>> hear Eric's opinion about that, since he didn't step back.
>> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
>> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
>> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
>>
>> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
>> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
>>
>> How does that sound?
> this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
> care of it?

Certainly, let me work through the process and I will let you know if
that could work.
--
Florian

2019-11-21 22:26:37

by Eric Anholt

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:03 AM Florian Fainelli <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 11/21/19 9:51 AM, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> > Hi Florian,

> >> How about we move out of github.com/Broadcom/stblinux as well as Eric's
> >> tree and get a group maintained repository on kernel.org, something like
> >> kernel/git/broadcom/linux.git?
> >>
> >> Then we can continue the existing processe whereby BCM2835 gets pulled
> >> into other Broadcom SoC pull requests.
> >>
> >> How does that sound?
> > this sounds like a good idea. In case the others agree too, can you take
> > care of it?
>
> Certainly, let me work through the process and I will let you know if
> that could work.

This all sounds fine to me, though since I'm not active any more we
should probably drop me out of MAINTAINERS while we're doing this
shuffle, too.