2020-11-03 21:44:28

by Amy Parker

Subject: Directory category for accessory drivers

I'm currently working on improving some accessory drivers to hopefully
submit to a future kernel tree. The drivers are assorted for headphones,
mice, keyboards, and other assorted accessories. Which driver category
or folder would this fall under, or would they require their own new folder
on the drivers/ folder level? If such is the case, what should said folder
be entitled?

Best regards,
Amy Parker
Please refer to me using singular they/them/theirs pronouns.

2020-11-06 14:41:55

by Jonathan Neuschäfer

Subject: Re: Directory category for accessory drivers

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 01:41:59PM -0800, Amy Parker wrote:
> I'm currently working on improving some accessory drivers to hopefully
> submit to a future kernel tree. The drivers are assorted for headphones,
> mice, keyboards, and other assorted accessories. Which driver category
> or folder would this fall under, or would they require their own new folder
> on the drivers/ folder level? If such is the case, what should said folder
> be entitled?

Drivers are more or less organized by functionality. Keyboard and mouse
drivers are generally in drivers/input, but also in drivers/hid, if the
device follows the HID protocol. Headphone drivers - I'm not sure, it
depends on what kind of input and output the headphone does.

As far as I'm aware there's not really a subsystem or directory for all
accessories, because they can have vastly different functionality.

I hope this helps,
Jonathan Neuschäfer

> Best regards,
> Amy Parker
> Please refer to me using singular they/them/theirs pronouns.

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.01 kB)
signature.asc (849.00 B)
Download all attachments