2023-09-22 19:42:42

by Cancan Chang

Subject: kernel.org 6.5.4 , NPU driver, --not support (RFC)

Dear Media Maintainers:
Thanks for your attention. Before describing my problem,let me introduce to you what I mean by NPU.
NPU is Neural Processing Unit, It is designed for deep learning acceleration, It is also called TPU, APU ..

The real problems:
When I was about to upstream my NPU driver codes to linux mainline, i meet two problems:
1. According to my research, There is no NPU module path in the linux (base on linux 6.5.4) , I have searched all linux projects and found no organization or comany that has submitted NPU code. Is there a path prepared for NPU driver currently?
2. If there is no NPU driver path currently, I am going to put my NPU driver code in the drivers/media/platform/amlogic/ , because my NPU driver belongs to amlogic. and amlogic NPU is mainly used for AI vision applications. Is this plan suitabe for you?

Looking forward to your reply.

English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
thanks

2023-09-28 07:54:57

by Oded Gabbay

Subject: Re: kernel.org 6.5.4 , NPU driver, --not support (RFC)

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> “Could you please post a link to the driver's source code ?
> In addition, could you please elaborate which userspace libraries
> exists that work with your driver ? Are any of them open-source ?”
> --- We will prepare the adla driver link after the holiday on October 6th.
> It's a pity that there is no open-source userspace library.
> But you can probably understand it through a workflow, which can be simplified as:
> 1. create model context
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_REGISTER_NETWORK, &desc);
> 2. set inputs
> 3. inference
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_INVOKE, &invoke_dec);
What happens if you call this again without waiting for the previous
inference to complete ?
Oded
> 4. wait for the inference to complete
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_WAIT_UNTIL_FINISH, &stat_req_desc);
> 5. destroy model context
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_DESTROY_NETWORK, &submit_del);
>

> thanks

2023-09-28 10:50:33

by Cancan Chang

Subject: 回复: kernel.org 6.5.4 , NPU driver, --not support (RFC)

“What happens if you call this again without waiting for the previous
inference to complete ?”
--- There is a work-queue in the driver to manage inference tasks.
When two consecutive inference tasks occur, the second inference task will be add to
the "pending list". While the previous inference task ends, the second inference task will
switch to the "scheduled list", and be executed.
Each inference task has an id, "inferece" and "wait until finish" are paired.

thanks

抄送: Jagan Teki; linux-media; linux-kernel; Dave Airlie; Daniel Vetter
主题: Re: kernel.org 6.5.4 , NPU driver, --not support (RFC)

[ EXTERNAL EMAIL ]

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> “Could you please post a link to the driver's source code ?
> In addition, could you please elaborate which userspace libraries
> exists that work with your driver ? Are any of them open-source ?”
> --- We will prepare the adla driver link after the holiday on October 6th.
> It's a pity that there is no open-source userspace library.
> But you can probably understand it through a workflow, which can be simplified as:
> 1. create model context
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_REGISTER_NETWORK, &desc);
> 2. set inputs
> 3. inference
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_INVOKE, &invoke_dec);
What happens if you call this again without waiting for the previous
inference to complete ?
Oded
> 4. wait for the inference to complete
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_WAIT_UNTIL_FINISH, &stat_req_desc);
> 5. destroy model context
> ret = ioctl(context->fd, ADLAK_IOCTL_DESTROY_NETWORK, &submit_del);
>

> thanks

2023-10-03 10:53:32

by Oded Gabbay

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> “What happens if you call this again without waiting for the previous
> inference to complete ?”
> --- There is a work-queue in the driver to manage inference tasks.
> When two consecutive inference tasks occur, the second inference task will be add to
> the "pending list". While the previous inference task ends, the second inference task will
> switch to the "scheduled list", and be executed.
> Each inference task has an id, "inferece" and "wait until finish" are paired.
>
> thanks
Thanks for the clarification.
I'll wait for your driver's code link. It doesn't have to be a patch
series at this point. A link to a git repo is enough.
I just want to do a quick pass.

Thanks,
Oded

2023-10-07 06:37:52

by Cancan Chang

Oded,
You can get the driver code from github link: https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver
e.g. git clone https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver.git

抄送: Jagan Teki; linux-media; linux-kernel; Dave Airlie; Daniel Vetter

[ EXTERNAL EMAIL ]

On Thu, Sep 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> “What happens if you call this again without waiting for the previous
> inference to complete ?”
> --- There is a work-queue in the driver to manage inference tasks.
> When two consecutive inference tasks occur, the second inference task will be add to
> the "pending list". While the previous inference task ends, the second inference task will
> switch to the "scheduled list", and be executed.
> Each inference task has an id, "inferece" and "wait until finish" are paired.
>
> thanks
Thanks for the clarification.
I'll wait for your driver's code link. It doesn't have to be a patch
series at this point. A link to a git repo is enough.
I just want to do a quick pass.

Thanks,
Oded

2024-01-11 08:08:21

by Tomeu Vizoso

Hi Oded,

Out of curiosity, did you end up taking a look at Amlogic's driver?

Cheers,

Tomeu

On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oded,
> You can get the driver code from github link: https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver
> e.g. git clone https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver.git

2024-01-11 13:16:41

by Oded Gabbay

On 11/01/2024 10:04, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Hi Oded,
>
> Out of curiosity, did you end up taking a look at Amlogic's driver?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomeu
Hi Tomeu,
Yes, I have looked at the driver's code. It was not an in-depth review,
but I tried to mainly understand the features the driver provide to the
user and how much complex it is.

From what I could see, this is a full-fledged accelerator which
requires command submission/completion handling, memory management,
information and debug capabilities and more.

Therefore, I do think the correct place is in the accel sub-system,
which will require you to convert the driver to use drm (we can discuss
exactly what is the level of integration required).

As I said, I didn't do a full-fledged review, but please note the driver
has a lot of OS-wrapper code, which is not acceptable in the Linux
kernel, so you will have to clean all the up.

Thanks,
Oded

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Oded,
>> You can get the driver code from github link: https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver
>> e.g. git clone https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver.git

2024-01-12 06:24:06

by Cancan Chang

Hi Oded,

Thanks for your code review. I‘m working on cleaning up the OS-wrapper code
and adjusting driver submodules. I will fix it befor sending patch series.

On the other hand, is it necessary to covert the driver to use drm? Amlogic's driver
is not only used in the visual field, but also in voice-related field, and is not very
compatible with drm. It hardly enjoy the convenience provided by drm. So,can we
do it like accel/habanalabs which has almost no use of drm, is this friendly to you?

thanks.

抄送: Jagan Teki; linux-media; linux-kernel; Dave Airlie; Daniel Vetter

[ EXTERNAL EMAIL ]

On 11/01/2024 10:04, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Hi Oded,
>
> Out of curiosity, did you end up taking a look at Amlogic's driver?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomeu
Hi Tomeu,
Yes, I have looked at the driver's code. It was not an in-depth review,
but I tried to mainly understand the features the driver provide to the
user and how much complex it is.

From what I could see, this is a full-fledged accelerator which
requires command submission/completion handling, memory management,
information and debug capabilities and more.

Therefore, I do think the correct place is in the accel sub-system,
which will require you to convert the driver to use drm (we can discuss
exactly what is the level of integration required).

As I said, I didn't do a full-fledged review, but please note the driver
has a lot of OS-wrapper code, which is not acceptable in the Linux
kernel, so you will have to clean all the up.

Thanks,
Oded

> On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Oded,
>> You can get the driver code from github link: https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver
>> e.g. git clone https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver.git

2024-01-15 08:30:23

by Tomeu Vizoso

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 2:14 PM Oded Gabbay <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 11/01/2024 10:04, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> > Hi Oded,
> >
> > Out of curiosity, did you end up taking a look at Amlogic's driver?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tomeu
> Hi Tomeu,
> Yes, I have looked at the driver's code. It was not an in-depth review,
> but I tried to mainly understand the features the driver provide to the
> user and how much complex it is.
>
> From what I could see, this is a full-fledged accelerator which
> requires command submission/completion handling, memory management,
> information and debug capabilities and more.
>
> Therefore, I do think the correct place is in the accel sub-system,
> which will require you to convert the driver to use drm (we can discuss
> exactly what is the level of integration required).
>
> As I said, I didn't do a full-fledged review, but please note the driver
> has a lot of OS-wrapper code, which is not acceptable in the Linux
> kernel, so you will have to clean all the up.

Thanks, Oded.

I'm wondering now about the requirement for open userspace. Do we have
it for this one?

Cheers,

Tomeu

> Thanks,
> Oded
>

> > On Sat, Oct 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM Cancan Chang <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Oded,
> >> You can get the driver code from github link: https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver
> >> e.g. git clone https://github.com/OldDaddy9/driver.git

2024-01-18 14:30:03

by Oded Gabbay

On 15/01/2024 10:29, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 2:14 PM Oded Gabbay <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/01/2024 10:04, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>> Hi Oded,
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, did you end up taking a look at Amlogic's driver?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tomeu
>> Hi Tomeu,
>> Yes, I have looked at the driver's code. It was not an in-depth review,
>> but I tried to mainly understand the features the driver provide to the
>> user and how much complex it is.
>>
>> From what I could see, this is a full-fledged accelerator which
>> requires command submission/completion handling, memory management,
>> information and debug capabilities and more.
>>
>> Therefore, I do think the correct place is in the accel sub-system,
>> which will require you to convert the driver to use drm (we can discuss
>> exactly what is the level of integration required).
>>
>> As I said, I didn't do a full-fledged review, but please note the driver
>> has a lot of OS-wrapper code, which is not acceptable in the Linux
>> kernel, so you will have to clean all the up.
>
> Thanks, Oded.
>
> I'm wondering now about the requirement for open userspace. Do we have
> it for this one?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomeu
The requirements are the same as for the other drivers in accel, which
is to have at least the Runtime/UMD part open-sourced.
If this accelerator also runs compiled code (e.g. kernels/shaders), you
will also need to open source the compiler.

Oded

>> Thanks,
>> Oded

2024-01-18 14:33:30

by Oded Gabbay

Subject: Re: 回复: kernel.org 6.5.4 , NPU driver, --not support (RFC)

On 12/01/2024 8:23, Cancan Chang wrote:
> Hi Oded,
>
> Thanks for your code review. I‘m working on cleaning up the OS-wrapper code
> and adjusting driver submodules. I will fix it befor sending patch series.
>
> On the other hand, is it necessary to covert the driver to use drm? Amlogic's driver
> is not only used in the visual field, but also in voice-related field, and is not very
> compatible with drm. It hardly enjoy the convenience provided by drm. So,can we
> do it like accel/habanalabs which has almost no use of drm, is this friendly to you?
>
> thanks.

habanalabs is a special case as it was a couple of years already in
drivers/misc, and therefore didn't use drm mechanisms at all. If we
would have upstreamed a new driver, the expectation would have been that
we would use some drm mechanisms.

I think that the minimal requirement is to use GEM/BOs for memory
management operations. At least I see both qaic and ivpu use it.

ofc, you need to register your device through drm/accel and use the
sysfs/debugfs drm infra.

If you have device memory that the user can allocate and map, then you
will also need to use TTM.

I don't think you need to use drm_sched as it is tightly coupled with
how GPUs work.

Oded