2015-08-18 14:33:52

by Muni Sekhar

Subject: Debugging General Protection Fault’s

[ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding debugging general protection fault’s.
I am running the driver tests on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU.
During the tests I see system hangs after continuous occurrence of
general protection fault’s.

First fault occurred on CPU: 0 , but it is not related to our driver,
looks like it is in kernel stack.
Second gpf fault and third Oops fault related to our own driver. Rest
other looks to be in kernel stack.

I would like to know, is the first fault triggered other faults?
Is all the faults needs to be fixed or just the first fault?

Full stack trace is attached.

[009298.685954] general protection fault: 0000 [#1] SMP
[009298.725436] general protection fault: 0000 [#2] SMP
[009298.866588] Oops: 0002 [#3] SMP
[009300.134033] general protection fault: 0000 [#4] SMP

Regards,
Sekhar

Attachments:
generalprotectionfault.txt (13.42 kB)

2015-08-20 11:03:18

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: Re: Debugging General Protection Fault’s

On Tue, 18 Aug 2015, Muni Sekhar wrote:

> [ Please keep me in CC as I'm not subscribed to the list]
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a doubt regarding debugging general protection fault’s.
> I am running the driver tests on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU.
> During the tests I see system hangs after continuous occurrence of
> general protection fault’s.
>
> First fault occurred on CPU: 0 , but it is not related to our driver,

There is no evidence that this is not caused by your driver. It's #GP in
__kmalloc(), which might very well be caused by use after free in your
driver, corrupting slab metadata or so.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs