2022-12-13 03:20:56

by Paul Moore

Subject: [GIT PULL] LSM patches for v6.2

Hi Linus,

Here is the LSM pull request for Linux v6.2, the highlights are below,
but I first wanted to mention that like the SELinux pull request there
are merge conflicts due to patches that were merged during the
v6.1-rcX cycle. You can fix those up yourself or you can pull the tag
below which has the fixes and has been sanity tested today; if you
need something else from me to sort out the merge conflict, let me
know.

* tags/lsm-pr-20221212.merge

Now for the highlights:

* Improve the error handling in the device cgroup such that memory
allocation failures when updating the access policy do not potentially
alter the policy.

* Some minor fixes to reiserfs to ensure that it properly releases
LSM-related xattr values.

* Update the security_socket_getpeersec_stream() LSM hook to take
sockptr_t values. Previously the net/BPF folks updated the getsockopt
code in the network stack to leverage the sockptr_t type to make it
easier to pass both kernel and __user pointers, but unfortunately when
they did so they didn't convert the LSM hook. While there was/is no
immediate risk by not converting the LSM hook, it seems like this is a
mistake waiting to happen so this patch proactively does the LSM hook
conversion. I should mention that Alexei Starovoitov has NACK'd this
patch because it touches the network stack (!?) and presumably because
he objects to the __user pointer annotations in general.

* Convert vfs_getxattr_alloc() to return an int instead of a ssize_t
and cleanup the callers. Internally the function was never going to
return anything larger than an int and the callers were doing some
very odd things casting the return value; this patch fixes all that
and helps bring a bit of sanity to vfs_getxattr_alloc() and its
callers.

* More verbose, and helpful, LSM debug output when the system is
booted with "lsm.debug" on the command line. There are examples in
the commit description, but the quick summary is that this patch
provides better information about which LSMs are enabled and the
ordering in which they are processed.

* General comment and kernel-doc fixes and cleanups.

-Paul

--
The following changes since commit 9abf2313adc1ca1b6180c508c25f22f9395cc780:

Linux 6.1-rc1 (2022-10-16 15:36:24 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pcmoore/lsm.git
tags/lsm-pr-20221212

for you to fetch changes up to 577cc1434e4cc1342c3df6d6a3c85136ab335c81:

lsm: Fix description of fs_context_parse_param (2022-12-09 12:22:56 -0500)

lsm/stable-6.2 PR 20221212

Bo Liu (1):
audit: Fix some kernel-doc warnings

Gaosheng Cui (1):
lsm: remove obsoleted comments for security hooks

Kees Cook (1):
LSM: Better reporting of actual LSMs at boot

Paul Moore (3):
fs: edit a comment made in bad taste
lsm: make security_socket_getpeersec_stream() sockptr_t safe
lsm,fs: fix vfs_getxattr_alloc() return type and caller error paths

Roberto Sassu (4):
reiserfs: Add missing calls to reiserfs_security_free()
lsm: Clarify documentation of vm_enough_memory hook
lsm: Add/fix return values in lsm_hooks.h and fix formatting
lsm: Fix description of fs_context_parse_param

Wang Weiyang (1):
device_cgroup: Roll back to original exceptions after copy failure

fs/reiserfs/namei.c | 4 +
fs/reiserfs/xattr_security.c | 2 +-
fs/xattr.c | 5 +-
include/linux/fs_context.h | 2 +-
include/linux/lsm_hook_defs.h | 2 +-
include/linux/lsm_hooks.h | 241 +++++++++++++++---------
include/linux/security.h | 11 +-
include/linux/xattr.h | 6 +-
net/core/sock.c | 3 +-
security/apparmor/domain.c | 3 +-
security/apparmor/lsm.c | 29 ++--
security/commoncap.c | 22 ++-
security/device_cgroup.c | 33 +++-
security/integrity/evm/evm_crypto.c | 5 +-
security/integrity/evm/evm_main.c | 7 +-
security/integrity/ima/ima.h | 5 +-
security/integrity/ima/ima_appraise.c | 6 +-
security/integrity/ima/ima_main.c | 6 +-
security/integrity/ima/ima_template_lib.c | 11 +-
security/lsm_audit.c | 1 +
security/security.c | 51 +++++--
security/selinux/hooks.c | 13 +-
security/smack/smack_lsm.c | 19 +--

paul-moore.com

2022-12-13 18:15:15

by Linus Torvalds

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] LSM patches for v6.2

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 7:06 PM Paul Moore <[email protected]> wrote:

> You can fix those up yourself or you can pull the tag
> below which has the fixes and has been sanity tested today;

Thanks. That was a particularly trivial merge, but I always appreciate
just being able to double-check my end result that there wasn't
something I missed.

Linus

2022-12-13 18:16:37

by pr-tracker-bot

The pull request you sent on Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:05:49 -0500:

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pcmoore/lsm.git tags/lsm-pr-20221212

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/c76ff350bd57682ae12bea6383dd8baf4824ac96

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.