2012-06-15 03:36:03

by Anil Nair

Subject: Need of automatic scripts for beginners

Hi all,

There are lot of professionals who join in the Linux Community daily,
But there are also people who are new to kernel configuration and
compiling so is it possible for the community to create a automatic
bash script so that it would be useful for beginners to start with the
kernel compilation and installation.? I could give it a try i want
people from the community to test it for me. Such a script exists in
the source tree?

Suggestions required... (And expected :) )

Anil Nair

2012-06-15 03:44:16

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

Subject: Re: Need of automatic scripts for beginners

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:06:00AM +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are lot of professionals who join in the Linux Community daily,
> But there are also people who are new to kernel configuration and
> compiling so is it possible for the community to create a automatic
> bash script so that it would be useful for beginners to start with the
> kernel compilation and installation.? I could give it a try i want
> people from the community to test it for me. Such a script exists in
> the source tree?
>
> Suggestions required... (And expected :) )

Try doing:
make localmodconfig
make oldconfig
make -j4
make modules_install install

then reboot.

If your distro is set up properly, that should be all that you need to
do.

If not, do 'make help' and look at what you have there.

good luck,

greg k-h

2012-06-15 10:25:20

by Peter Zijlstra

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 20:44 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> If your distro is set up properly, that should be all that you need to
> do.

Last time I tried that it didn't actually work due to a lot
of /sbin/installkernel scrips omitting to generate an initrd or whatnot.

2012-06-15 17:09:16

by Anil Nair

Hi Peter,

> Last time I tried that it didn't actually work due to a lot
> of /sbin/installkernel scrips omitting to generate an initrd or whatnot.

Can you post the script? I would like to try it out.

Anil Nair

2012-06-15 17:15:10

by Peter Zijlstra

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 22:39 +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> > Last time I tried that it didn't actually work due to a lot
> > of /sbin/installkernel scrips omitting to generate an initrd or whatnot.
>
> Can you post the script? I would like to try it out.

It comes with your distro.. all I was saying is that they're not always
as useful as one might want them to be.

2012-06-15 17:50:58

by Anil Nair

Hi Peter,
> It comes with your distro.. all I was saying is that they're not always
> as useful as one might want them to be.

Which distro are you using? If anyone can make a general menudriven
bash scirpt with all the compilation options and with proper
documentation that would be good. If its not recommended then its ok.
I just intended those who begineers have no clue where to begin with i
had difficult trying to compile and configuring the kernel in the
beginning.

Anil Nair

2012-06-15 17:55:05

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 11:20:56PM +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> > It comes with your distro.. all I was saying is that they're not always
> > as useful as one might want them to be.
>
> Which distro are you using? If anyone can make a general menudriven
> bash scirpt with all the compilation options and with proper
> documentation that would be good. If its not recommended then its ok.
> I just intended those who begineers have no clue where to begin with i
> had difficult trying to compile and configuring the kernel in the
> beginning.

You do know that there's a book out there, "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell",
which is free online, that describes how to do all of this? Why not
look at that?

Also, each distro has their own install kernel script, some works better
than others. I know the distros I use work just fine :)

thanks,

greg k-h