2023-11-24 07:01:04

by Yewon Choi

Subject: xdp/xsk.c: missing read memory barrier in xsk_poll()

Hello,

We found some possibility of missing read memory barrier in xsk_poll(),
so we would like to ask to check it.

commit e6762c8b adds two smp_rmb() in xsk_mmap(), which are paired with
smp_wmb() in XDP_UMEM_REG and xsk_init_queue each. The later one is
added in order to prevent reordering between reading of q and reading
of q->ring.
One example in simplied code is:

xsk_mmap():
if (offset == XDP_PGOFF_RX_RING) {
q = READ_ONCE(xs->rx);
}
if (!q)
return -EINVAL;

/* Matches the smp_wmb() in xsk_init_queue */
smp_rmb();
return remap_vmalloc_range(vma, q->ring, 0);

Also, the similar logic exists in xsk_poll() without smp_rmb().

xsk_poll():
if (xs->rx && !xskq_prod_is_empty(xs->rx))
mask |= EPOLLIN | EPOLLRDNORM;
if (xs->tx && xsk_tx_writeable(xs))
mask |= EPOLLOUT | EPOLLWRNORM;

xskq_prod_is_empty():
return READ_ONCE(q->ring->consumer) && ...

To be consistent, I think that smp_rmb() is needed between
xs->rx and !xsq_prod_is_empty() and the same applies for xs->tx.

Could you check this please?
If a patch is needed, we will send them.

Best Regards,
Yewon Choi

2023-11-24 13:50:32

by Magnus Karlsson

On Fri, 24 Nov 2023 at 08:00, Yewon Choi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We found some possibility of missing read memory barrier in xsk_poll(),
> so we would like to ask to check it.
>
> commit e6762c8b adds two smp_rmb() in xsk_mmap(), which are paired with
> smp_wmb() in XDP_UMEM_REG and xsk_init_queue each. The later one is
> added in order to prevent reordering between reading of q and reading
> of q->ring.
> One example in simplied code is:
>
> xsk_mmap():
> if (offset == XDP_PGOFF_RX_RING) {
> q = READ_ONCE(xs->rx);
> }
> if (!q)
> return -EINVAL;
>
> /* Matches the smp_wmb() in xsk_init_queue */
> smp_rmb();
> return remap_vmalloc_range(vma, q->ring, 0);
>
> Also, the similar logic exists in xsk_poll() without smp_rmb().
>
> xsk_poll():
> if (xs->rx && !xskq_prod_is_empty(xs->rx))
> mask |= EPOLLIN | EPOLLRDNORM;
> if (xs->tx && xsk_tx_writeable(xs))
> mask |= EPOLLOUT | EPOLLWRNORM;
>
> xskq_prod_is_empty():
> return READ_ONCE(q->ring->consumer) && ...
>
> To be consistent, I think that smp_rmb() is needed between
> xs->rx and !xsq_prod_is_empty() and the same applies for xs->tx.
>
> Could you check this please?
> If a patch is needed, we will send them.

Yes, you are correct that the current code would need an smp_rmb().
However, an unbound socket should never be allowed to enter the
xsk_poll() code in the first place since it is pointless to poll a
socket that has not been bound. This error was introduced in the
commit below:

commit 1596dae2f17ec5c6e8c8f0e3fec78c5ae55c1e0b