2019-10-27 23:04:10

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: Fixes tag needs some work in the drm tree

Hi all,

In commit

8c9f69bc5cc4 ("drm/amdgpu: fix build error without CONFIG_HSA_AMD")

Fixes tag

Fixes: 1abb680ad371 ("drm/amdgpu: disable gfxoff while use no H/W scheduling policy")

has these problem(s):

- Target SHA1 does not exist

Did you mean:

Fixes: aa978594cf7f ("drm/amdgpu: disable gfxoff while use no H/W scheduling policy")

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2019-10-28 13:46:55

by Shirish S

Yes, that's what it meant.

Regards,
Shirish S

8c9f69bc5cc4 ("drm/amdgpu: fix build error without CONFIG_HSA_AMD")

Fixes tag

Fixes: 1abb680ad371 ("drm/amdgpu: disable gfxoff while use no H/W scheduling policy")

has these problem(s):

- Target SHA1 does not exist

Did you mean:

Fixes: aa978594cf7f ("drm/amdgpu: disable gfxoff while use no H/W scheduling policy")

Stephen Rothwell

2022-06-03 21:20:46

by Rob Clark

On Thu, Jun 2, 2022 at 10:16 PM Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In commit
>
> 8caad14e7224 ("drm/msm/dpu: Fix pointer dereferenced before checking")
>
> Fixes tag
>
> Fixes: d7d0e73f7de33 ("drm/msm/dpu: introduce the dpu_encoder_phys_* for
>
> has these problem(s):
>
> - Subject has leading but no trailing parentheses
> - Subject has leading but no trailing quotes
>
> Fixes tags should not be truncated or split across more than 1 line. So:
>
> Fixes: d7d0e73f7de3 ("drm/msm/dpu: introduce the dpu_encoder_phys_* for writeback")

Hmm, checkpatch seems to not catch this (unless it was a recent
addition that landed after what msm-fixes is based on.

will the truncated subject confuse the scripts that look for patches
to backport to stable, ie. do we *really* have to rewrite history to
fix this?

BR,
-R

2022-06-05 19:40:37

by Rob Clark

On Fri, Jun 3, 2022 at 5:38 PM Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 07:58:14 -0700 Rob Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > will the truncated subject confuse the scripts that look for patches
> > to backport to stable, ie. do we *really* have to rewrite history to
> > fix this?
>
> I don't know what scripts are being used and what they expect, but our
> documentation says (Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst):
>
> If your patch fixes a bug in a specific commit, e.g. you found an issue using
> ``git bisect``, please use the 'Fixes:' tag with the first 12 characters of
> the SHA-1 ID, and the one line summary. Do not split the tag across multiple
> lines, tags are exempt from the "wrap at 75 columns" rule in order to simplify
> parsing scripts.
>
> But, that being said, doing the rewrite is up to the maintainer. You
> could just look at this as a learning experience and do better in the
> future.

Ok, I'll leave it up to airlied

If you don't mind sharing, what is the script you use? We could
perhaps add it to our WIP CI.. a script is much less likely to miss a
check than a human, so I'm a fan of automating these sorts of checks
whenever possible ;-)

BR,
-R

> BTW, my script reacted to the missing closing quotes and parentheses,
> which is more like to confuse any scripts that the actual truncation.
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

2022-06-06 05:57:24