2024-04-10 13:35:23

by Len Brown

Subject: [GIT PULL] turbostat 2024.04.10

Hi Linus,

The following changes since commit 0dd3ee31125508cd67f7e7172247f05b7fd1753a:

Linux 6.7 (2024-01-07 12:18:38 -0800)

are available in the Git repository at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux.git
tags/turbostat-2024.04.10

for you to fetch changes up to 3ab7296a7e6aa34634dcc2926af933107a117996:

tools/power turbostat: v2024.04.10 (2024-04-10 09:07:57 -0400)

Turbostat version 2024.04.10

Use of the CPU MSR driver is now optional.
Perf is now preferred for many counters.

Non-root users can now execute turbostat, though with limited function.

Add counters for some new GFX hardware.

Minor fixes.

Chen Yu (1):
tools/power turbostat: Do not print negative LPI residency

Doug Smythies (1):
tools/power turbostat: Fix added raw MSR output

Justin Ernst (1):
tools/power/turbostat: Fix uncore frequency file string

Len Brown (4):
tools/power turbostat: Expand probe_intel_uncore_frequency()
tools/power turbostat: Fix warning upon failed /dev/cpu_dma_latency read
tools/power turbostat: enhance -D (debug counter dump) output
tools/power turbostat: v2024.04.10

Patryk Wlazlyn (11):
tools/power turbostat: Print ucode revision only if valid
tools/power turbostat: Read base_hz and bclk from CPUID.16H if available
tools/power turbostat: Add --no-msr option
tools/power turbostat: Add --no-perf option
tools/power turbostat: Add reading aperf and mperf via perf API
tools/power turbostat: detect and disable unavailable BICs at runtime
tools/power turbostat: add early exits for permission checks
tools/power turbostat: Clear added counters when in no-msr mode
tools/power turbostat: Add proper re-initialization for perf
file descriptors
tools/power turbostat: read RAPL counters via perf
tools/power turbostat: Add selftests

Peng Liu (1):
tools/power turbostat: Fix Bzy_MHz documentation typo

Wyes Karny (1):
tools/power turbostat: Increase the limit for fd opened

Zhang Rui (6):
tools/power/turbostat: Enable MSR_CORE_C1_RES support for ICX
tools/power/turbostat: Cache graphics sysfs path
tools/power/turbostat: Unify graphics sysfs snapshots
tools/power/turbostat: Introduce BIC_SAM_mc6/BIC_SAMMHz/BIC_SAMACTMHz
tools/power/turbostat: Add support for new i915 sysfs knobs
tools/power/turbostat: Add support for Xe sysfs knobs

MAINTAINERS | 1 +
tools/power/x86/turbostat/turbostat.8 | 18 +-
tools/power/x86/turbostat/turbostat.c | 2201 ++++++++++++++++++-----
tools/testing/selftests/turbostat/defcolumns.py | 60 +
create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/turbostat/defcolumns.py

2024-04-10 20:18:47

by pr-tracker-bot

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] turbostat 2024.04.10

The pull request you sent on Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:24:19 -0400:

> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux.git tags/turbostat-2024.04.10

has been merged into torvalds/linux.git:
https://git.kernel.org/torvalds/c/a6189a7407795b3f5167ea532ac85931cd26083a

Thank you!

--
Deet-doot-dot, I am a bot.
https://korg.docs.kernel.org/prtracker.html

2024-04-10 20:23:26

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 06:24, Len Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> Turbostat version 2024.04.10

Tssk. Things like this should still come in during the merge window
and preferably be in linux-next.

I have pulled this, since it's obviously just tooling (and the
maintainer file pattern update), but stil...

Linus

2024-04-11 18:41:01

by Len Brown

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 4:18 PM Linus Torvalds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 at 06:24, Len Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Turbostat version 2024.04.10
>
> Tssk. Things like this should still come in during the merge window
> and preferably be in linux-next.
>
> I have pulled this, since it's obviously just tooling (and the
> maintainer file pattern update), but stil...

ISTR that once upon a time at the kernel summit you expressed a
preference that things
like utilities (which sometimes depend on merge window changes) come
in after rc1 is declared
to basically stay out of the way.

Yes, this batch was delayed a week or so after that due to some revisions...

Happy to send this kind of thing during the merge window when
dependencies allow (yes, they would have this time)
since that is your current preference.

Also, yes, I can have my turbostat branch routinely included in linux-next.

thanks,
-Len

2024-04-11 19:43:02

by Linus Torvalds

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 at 11:20, Len Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> ISTR that once upon a time at the kernel summit you expressed a
> preference that things like utilities (which sometimes depend on merge
> window changes) come in after rc1 is declared to basically stay out of
> the way.

That may have been true at some point, but probably long ago - the
merge windows have been so reliable that it's just not an issue any
more.

So I'd rather see people hold to the normal release cycle, and aim to
have the rc releases for fixes or major problems.

We also used to allow entirely new drivers etc outside the release
cycle as a "this cannot regress" exception to the normal rules, but
that has also been largely abandoned as the release cycle is just
short enough that it makes no sense.

So the "new hardware support" rule has basically been watered down
over the years, and has become a "new hardware IDs are fine" kind of
rule, where just adding basically just a PCI ID or OF matching entry
or similar is still fine, but no more "whole new drivers".

Linus