2014-01-18 17:34:53

by Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle

Subject: Help Needed

Hi,

I am an expert of HP-UX (kernel and drivers), while being novice at
linux. I am currently looking ways for quick ramp up so that I could
contribute to linux community.

Kindly provide pointers starting from where I could get the kernel
sources. Appreciate help in advance.

-Madhu

2014-01-18 22:16:23

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: Help Needed

On 01/18/2014 09:34 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an expert of HP-UX (kernel and drivers), while being novice at
> linux. I am currently looking ways for quick ramp up so that I could
> contribute to linux community.
>
> Kindly provide pointers starting from where I could get the kernel
> sources. Appreciate help in advance.

google for "linux kernel source" -- the top 2 URLs give you the kernel
source trees ... unless you want the source for some particular distro
like Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, ArchLinux, etc., then you would need to go
to the web sites of those distros to find the sources.

Also check http://kernelnewbies.org/ for some newbie info.

--
~Randy

2014-01-19 03:08:19

by Ryan Cunningham

You can just go to http://www.kernel.org to get the Linux kernel source code.

If you want to use a certain Linux distribution, search "Linux distributions" using your favorite Web search engine.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 18, 2014, at 2:16 PM, Randy Dunlap <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 01/18/2014 09:34 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am an expert of HP-UX (kernel and drivers), while being novice at
>> linux. I am currently looking ways for quick ramp up so that I could
>> contribute to linux community.
>>
>> Kindly provide pointers starting from where I could get the kernel
>> sources. Appreciate help in advance.
>
> google for "linux kernel source" -- the top 2 URLs give you the kernel
> source trees ... unless you want the source for some particular distro
> like Red Hat, SuSE, Ubuntu, ArchLinux, etc., then you would need to go
> to the web sites of those distros to find the sources.
>
> Also check http://kernelnewbies.org/ for some newbie info.
>
> --
> ~Randy

by Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle

Thanks to Randy and Ryan for the responses. The pointers are really
helpful. Currently I am facing an issue with Ubuntu's grub not
displaying the newly built kernel.

Existing kernel on the ubuntu system is 3.2.0-23-generic. While the
new one is 3.11.10. The Grub has/displays fedora and ubuntu each one
and their corresponding recovery modes. On building and installing
3.11.10 on Ubuntu's, the newly built kernel doesn't show up in grub at
the boot time. Kindly help. Updating grub also doesn't help.

-Madhu

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am an expert of HP-UX (kernel and drivers), while being novice at
> linux. I am currently looking ways for quick ramp up so that I could
> contribute to linux community.
>
> Kindly provide pointers starting from where I could get the kernel
> sources. Appreciate help in advance.
>

> -Madhu

2014-01-22 14:55:32

by Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks to Randy and Ryan for the responses. The pointers are really
> helpful. Currently I am facing an issue with Ubuntu's grub not
> displaying the newly built kernel.
>
> Existing kernel on the ubuntu system is 3.2.0-23-generic. While the
> new one is 3.11.10. The Grub has/displays fedora and ubuntu each one
> and their corresponding recovery modes. On building and installing
> 3.11.10 on Ubuntu's, the newly built kernel doesn't show up in grub at
> the boot time. Kindly help. Updating grub also doesn't help.
>
> -Madhu

There are likely a lot of resources on the web to more complete
instructions but roughly speaking:

1) Mount /boot
2) Copy your new kernel binary to /boot. I.e. cp
arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-#####
3) Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the new kernel in the list of options

HTH,
Mark

2014-01-22 15:05:54

by Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle

The grub file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The newly built kernel is
reflected in grub.cfg. But, the grub doesn't display this new kernel
at the boot time. I tried few tips from the web. It is no help. That
is why I sought help from this forum.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Mark Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Thanks to Randy and Ryan for the responses. The pointers are really
>> helpful. Currently I am facing an issue with Ubuntu's grub not
>> displaying the newly built kernel.
>>
>> Existing kernel on the ubuntu system is 3.2.0-23-generic. While the
>> new one is 3.11.10. The Grub has/displays fedora and ubuntu each one
>> and their corresponding recovery modes. On building and installing
>> 3.11.10 on Ubuntu's, the newly built kernel doesn't show up in grub at
>> the boot time. Kindly help. Updating grub also doesn't help.
>>
>> -Madhu
>
> There are likely a lot of resources on the web to more complete
> instructions but roughly speaking:
>
> 1) Mount /boot
> 2) Copy your new kernel binary to /boot. I.e. cp
> arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-#####
> 3) Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the new kernel in the list of options
>
> HTH,
> Mark

2014-01-22 15:08:41

by Richard Weinberger

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The grub file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The newly built kernel is
> reflected in grub.cfg. But, the grub doesn't display this new kernel
> at the boot time. I tried few tips from the web. It is no help. That
> is why I sought help from this forum.

If "make install" does not work your distro's /sbin/installkernel is
broken and needs fixing.

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Mark Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Thanks to Randy and Ryan for the responses. The pointers are really
>>> helpful. Currently I am facing an issue with Ubuntu's grub not
>>> displaying the newly built kernel.
>>>
>>> Existing kernel on the ubuntu system is 3.2.0-23-generic. While the
>>> new one is 3.11.10. The Grub has/displays fedora and ubuntu each one
>>> and their corresponding recovery modes. On building and installing
>>> 3.11.10 on Ubuntu's, the newly built kernel doesn't show up in grub at
>>> the boot time. Kindly help. Updating grub also doesn't help.
>>>
>>> -Madhu
>>
>> There are likely a lot of resources on the web to more complete
>> instructions but roughly speaking:
>>
>> 1) Mount /boot
>> 2) Copy your new kernel binary to /boot. I.e. cp
>> arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-#####
>> 3) Edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to add the new kernel in the list of options
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark

//richard

2014-01-22 15:09:36

by Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> The grub file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The newly built kernel is
> reflected in grub.cfg. But, the grub doesn't display this new kernel
> at the boot time. I tried few tips from the web. It is no help. That
> is why I sought help from this forum.

You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you very
much. Show things like the contents of /boot, your grub config file,
etc., and maybe we'll see the mistake you're making.

Good luck,
Mark

2014-01-22 15:48:05

by Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle

I have attached the boot directory contents, /boot/grub/grub.cfg and
/etc/default/grub contents. Also attached the mount points on the
system.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Mark Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The grub file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The newly built kernel is
>> reflected in grub.cfg. But, the grub doesn't display this new kernel
>> at the boot time. I tried few tips from the web. It is no help. That
>> is why I sought help from this forum.
>
> You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you very
> much. Show things like the contents of /boot, your grub config file,
> etc., and maybe we'll see the mistake you're making.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Attachments:
help_seek.output (8.30 kB)

2014-01-22 17:41:21

by Mark Knecht

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have attached the boot directory contents, /boot/grub/grub.cfg and
> /etc/default/grub contents. Also attached the mount points on the
> system.
>
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Mark Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:05 AM, Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> The grub file is /boot/grub/grub.cfg. The newly built kernel is
>>> reflected in grub.cfg. But, the grub doesn't display this new kernel
>>> at the boot time. I tried few tips from the web. It is no help. That
>>> is why I sought help from this forum.
>>
>> You have not provided enough information for anyone to help you very
>> much. Show things like the contents of /boot, your grub config file,
>> etc., and maybe we'll see the mistake you're making.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Mark

I thin you need someone who knows your disto. You're likely going to
be better served on a distro-specific list.

In my case (Gentoo) the file edited to give me boot options is
/boot/grub/grub.conf which is not what you attached. I don't have the
file on my system but maybe your disto calls it something else.
Anyway, the contents of what you showed are quite different from the
way we do it on Gentoo. My grub.conf file contents for comparison:

c2RAID6 ~ # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
default 0
timeout 15
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title RAID6 3.10.27-gentoo using LABEL (RAID6, md=1.2, initramfs in kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-3.10.27-gentoo root=LABEL=RAID6root
video=vesafb vga=0x307

title RAID6 3.10.26-gentoo using LABEL (RAID6, md=1.2, initramfs in kernel)
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-3.10.26-gentoo root=LABEL=RAID6root
video=vesafb vga=0x307

title SSD 3.8.13-gentoo using LABEL (SSD, no initramfs)
root (hd5,1)
kernel (hd5,0)/boot/bzImage-3.8.13-gentoo root=LABEL=SDDroot
video=vesafb vga=0x307

title SSD 3.8.13-gentoo using /dev/sda2 (SSD, no initramfs)
root (hd5,1)
kernel (hd5,0)/boot/bzImage-3.8.13-gentoo root=/dev/sda2 video=vesafb vga=0x307

c2RAID6 ~ #

When I build a new kernel it's just added in the manner I briefly
explained earlier.

Likely I cannot give more help.

Good luck,
Mark

2014-01-23 10:22:13

by Madhusudhan Rao Sripalle

Hi,

In the context of solving the below original issue, I came across
below error while I was running "sudo make install". Wondering what
the below error means?

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168g-3.fw for
module r8169

-Madhu