2014-06-18 11:20:47

by Sachin Kamat

Subject: Build error - vmlinux.lds [Re: linux-next: Tree for Jun 18]

Hi,

I observe the following build error while building uImage for ARM.

Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
make[2]: *** No rule to make target
`arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds', needed by
`arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux'. Stop.
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
make: *** [uImage] Error 2

Regards,
Sachin.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM, Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The powerpc allyesconfig is again broken more than usual.
>
> Changes since 20140617:
>
> Non-merge commits (relative to Linus' tree): 868
> 1021 files changed, 24269 insertions(+), 14775 deletions(-)

> I have created today's linux-next tree at
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
> (patches at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/next/ ). If you
> are tracking the linux-next tree using git, you should not use "git pull"
> to do so as that will try to merge the new linux-next release with the
> old one. You should use "git fetch" and checkout or reset to the new
> master.
>
> You can see which trees have been included by looking in the Next/Trees
> file in the source. There are also quilt-import.log and merge.log files
> in the Next directory. Between each merge, the tree was built with
> a ppc64_defconfig for powerpc and an allmodconfig for x86_64 and a
> multi_v7_defconfig for arm. After the final fixups (if any), it is also
> built with powerpc allnoconfig (32 and 64 bit), ppc44x_defconfig and
> allyesconfig (this fails its final link) and i386, sparc, sparc64 and arm
> defconfig.
>
> Below is a summary of the state of the merge.
>
> I am currently merging 219 trees (counting Linus' and 29 trees of patches
> pending for Linus' tree).
>
> Stats about the size of the tree over time can be seen at
> http://neuling.org/linux-next-size.html .
>
> Status of my local build tests will be at
> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/linux-next . If maintainers want to give
> advice about cross compilers/configs that work, we are always open to add
> more builds.
>
> Thanks to Randy Dunlap for doing many randconfig builds. And to Paul
> Gortmaker for triage and bug fixes.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell [email protected]

2014-06-18 11:56:13

by Russell King - ARM Linux

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:50:43PM +0530, Sachin Kamat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I observe the following build error while building uImage for ARM.
>
> Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds', needed by
> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux'. Stop.
> make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
> make: *** [uImage] Error 2

Works fine here against an empty object tree:

http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/build/file.php?lid=9591

Are you building into an already-built object tree or rebuilding an
already built tree?

This is likely caused by make getting confused over the dependencies.
I suggest making clean to recover from this error.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: now at 9.7Mbps down 460kbps up... slowly
improving, and getting towards what was expected from it.

2014-06-18 12:08:19

by Sachin Kamat

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:50:43PM +0530, Sachin Kamat wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I observe the following build error while building uImage for ARM.
>>
>> Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
>> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds', needed by
>> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux'. Stop.
>> make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
>> make: *** [uImage] Error 2
>
> Works fine here against an empty object tree:
>
> http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/build/file.php?lid=9591
>
> Are you building into an already-built object tree or rebuilding an
> already built tree?

I did a clean build after updating the tree to next-20140618.
git status show me the following after doing make clean

# On branch master
# Changes not staged for commit:
# (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
# (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
# deleted: arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds.S

My tip of kernel points to commit 4ca1fbc122fcb ("Add linux-next specific
files for 20140618")

> This is likely caused by make getting confused over the dependencies.
> I suggest making clean to recover from this error.

I get this error when I do a clean build too.

Regards,
Sachin.

2014-06-18 12:20:33

by Russell King - ARM Linux

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:38:14PM +0530, Sachin Kamat wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 04:50:43PM +0530, Sachin Kamat wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I observe the following build error while building uImage for ARM.
> >>
> >> Kernel: arch/arm/boot/Image is ready
> >> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> >> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds', needed by
> >> `arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux'. Stop.
> >> make[1]: *** [arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux] Error 2
> >> make: *** [uImage] Error 2
> >
> > Works fine here against an empty object tree:
> >
> > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/build/file.php?lid=9591
> >
> > Are you building into an already-built object tree or rebuilding an
> > already built tree?
>
> I did a clean build after updating the tree to next-20140618.
> git status show me the following after doing make clean
>
> # On branch master
> # Changes not staged for commit:
> # (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> # (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> #
> # deleted: arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds.S
>

> My tip of kernel points to commit 4ca1fbc122fcb ("Add linux-next specific
> files for 20140618")
>

> > This is likely caused by make getting confused over the dependencies.
> > I suggest making clean to recover from this error.
>
> I get this error when I do a clean build too.

Hmm. Please try removing vmlinux.lds.S from extra-y in
arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile and restoring the deleted file.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: now at 9.7Mbps down 460kbps up... slowly
improving, and getting towards what was expected from it.

2014-06-19 03:40:14

by Sachin Kamat

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 05:38:14PM +0530, Sachin Kamat wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Works fine here against an empty object tree:
>> >
>> > http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/build/file.php?lid=9591
>> >
>> > Are you building into an already-built object tree or rebuilding an
>> > already built tree?
>>
>> I did a clean build after updating the tree to next-20140618.
>> git status show me the following after doing make clean
>>
>> # On branch master
>> # Changes not staged for commit:
>> # (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>> # (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>> #
>> # deleted: arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds.S
>>

>> My tip of kernel points to commit 4ca1fbc122fcb ("Add linux-next specific
>> files for 20140618")
>>

>> > This is likely caused by make getting confused over the dependencies.
>> > I suggest making clean to recover from this error.
>>
>> I get this error when I do a clean build too.
>
> Hmm. Please try removing vmlinux.lds.S from extra-y in
> arch/arm/boot/compressed/Makefile and restoring the deleted file.

The above steps work for me. I do not get the aforementioned build
error now.

Thanks.

Regards,
Sachin