2014-12-09 19:22:54

by Young, David

Subject: selftests: question about git repos containing selftest.

Greetings,

I'm trying out the new kernel selftests and was looking for the "bleeding edge" repository to clone. According to the wiki https://kselftest.wiki.kernel.org/ this is the appropriate repo:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest.git

However, I am finding newer and more frequent changes are in linux-next.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git

Which should I clone for the most fresh changes?

-David Young

2014-12-09 19:46:06

by Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 02:22:42PM -0500, Young, David wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying out the new kernel selftests and was looking for the "bleeding edge" repository to clone. According to the wiki https://kselftest.wiki.kernel.org/ this is the appropriate repo:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest.git
>
> However, I am finding newer and more frequent changes are in linux-next.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>
> Which should I clone for the most fresh changes?

Are you sure you are looking at the correct branch for that git repo?
Which one were you using?

thanks,

greg k-h

2014-12-09 20:21:05

by Shuah Khan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 02:22:42PM -0500, Young, David wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm trying out the new kernel selftests and was looking for the "bleeding edge" repository to clone. According to the wiki https://kselftest.wiki.kernel.org/ this is the appropriate repo:
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest.git
>>
>> However, I am finding newer and more frequent changes are in linux-next.
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>>
>> Which should I clone for the most fresh changes?
>
> Are you sure you are looking at the correct branch for that git repo?
> Which one were you using?

Please find the patches slated for 3.19--rc1 in fixes branch. These
are the ones that
get pulled into linux-next for integration testing.

-- Shuah

2014-12-09 20:34:10

by Shuah Khan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Young, David <[email protected]> wrote:
> Thanks, I was definitely looking at the master branch of linux-kselftest.
>
> There are still more changes in linux-next repo, should those be considered as "in progress"?

Patches in linux-kselftest fixes branch are the ones I included in my
pull request
I just sent out. linux-next might have some selftest patches that are part of a
series that depend on a sub-system API. Maybe that is what you are seeing
in linux-next.

For example there are ftrace selftest patches in linux-next that
depend on ftrace
sub-system, hence they funnel through ftrace. Same thing happens with mm
related things.

Do you have specific patches in linux-next that you have questions about?

-- Shuah

2014-12-09 20:35:04

by Young, David

Thanks, I was definitely looking at the master branch of linux-kselftest.

There are still more changes in linux-next repo, should those be considered as "in progress"?

-dave

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 02:22:42PM -0500, Young, David wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm trying out the new kernel selftests and was looking for the "bleeding edge" repository to clone. According to the wiki https://kselftest.wiki.kernel.org/ this is the appropriate repo:
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/shuah/linux-kselftest.g
>> it
>>
>> However, I am finding newer and more frequent changes are in linux-next.
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git
>>
>> Which should I clone for the most fresh changes?
>
> Are you sure you are looking at the correct branch for that git repo?
> Which one were you using?

Please find the patches slated for 3.19--rc1 in fixes branch. These are the ones that get pulled into linux-next for integration testing.

-- Shuah
????{.n?+???????+%?????ݶ??w??{.n?+????{??G?????{ay?ʇڙ?,j??f???h?????????z_??(?階?ݢj"???m??????G????????????&???~???iO???z??v?^?m???? ????????I?

2014-12-09 21:15:09

by Young, David

> Do you have specific patches in linux-next that you have questions about?

Mostly I am interested in executing kselftests via something like autotest or Hudson/jenkins as a quick smoketest. I understand it's still very much an in-progress feature, but would like the closest thing to a stable set of tests to regularly clone and use. I suppose I could just wait for whatever makes it into mainline, but I'm interested in seeing the planned test coverage and test output so that I can write appropriate "glue" for use with a continuous-integration test system.

-dave

????{.n?+???????+%?????ݶ??w??{.n?+????{??G?????{ay?ʇڙ?,j??f???h?????????z_??(?階?ݢj"???m??????G????????????&???~???iO???z??v?^?m???? ????????I?

2014-12-09 21:16:34

by Davidlohr Bueso

On Tue, 2014-12-09 at 13:34 -0700, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Young, David <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Thanks, I was definitely looking at the master branch of linux-kselftest.
> >
> > There are still more changes in linux-next repo, should those be considered as "in progress"?
> >

> Patches in linux-kselftest fixes branch are the ones I included in my
> pull request
> I just sent out. linux-next might have some selftest patches that are part of a
> series that depend on a sub-system API. Maybe that is what you are seeing
> in linux-next.

Is there any reason why Andrew isn't handling kselftests? Considering it
spans multiple subsystems, it seems far more appropriate that way.

2014-12-09 21:27:23

by Shuah Khan

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Young, David <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Do you have specific patches in linux-next that you have questions about?
>
> Mostly I am interested in executing kselftests via something like autotest or Hudson/jenkins as a quick smoketest. I understand it's still very much an in-progress feature, but would like the closest thing to a stable set of tests to regularly clone and use. I suppose I could just wait for whatever makes it into mainline, but I'm interested in seeing the planned test coverage and test output so that I can write appropriate "glue" for use with a continuous-integration test system.

David,

Please follow fixes branch for patches that are going to be in the next mainline
release. I am planning to create devel or experimental branch to make my next
revision install target patches available for early testing for people
that want to
play with work in progress. Hope this is helpful.

thanks,
-- Shuah

2014-12-09 21:30:06

by Young, David

Thanks for clearing this up, very helpful!

-dave