2021-06-15 03:03:35

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: manual merge of the devicetree tree with the mtd tree

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:

Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt

between commit:

6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")

from the mtd tree and commit:

9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")

from the devicetree tree.

I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2021-06-15 16:48:10

by Miquel Raynal

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
12:59:58 +1000:

> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:
>
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt
>
> between commit:
>
> 6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")
>
> from the mtd tree and commit:
>
> 9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")
>
> from the devicetree tree.
>
> I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
> carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.

Thanks for the warning. Indeed the txt file being touched by
9b358af7c818 is being updated into a yaml file which does not reference
the mux binding anymore.

Rob, how do you want to proceed?

Thanks,
Miquèl

2021-06-15 19:01:32

by Rob Herring

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Miquel Raynal
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote on Tue, 15 Jun 2021
> 12:59:58 +1000:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Today's linux-next merge of the devicetree tree got a conflict in:
> >
> > Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mtd/ti,am654-hbmc.txt
> >
> > between commit:
> >
> > 6947ad674944 ("dt-bindings: mtd: Convert ti, am654-hbmc.txt to YAML schema")
> >
> > from the mtd tree and commit:
> >
> > 9b358af7c818 ("dt-bindings: mux: Convert mux controller bindings to schema")
> >
> > from the devicetree tree.
> >
> > I fixed it up (the latter removed the file, so I just did that) and can
> > carry the fix as necessary. This is now fixed as far as linux-next is
> > concerned, but any non trivial conflicts should be mentioned to your
> > upstream maintainer when your tree is submitted for merging. You may
> > also want to consider cooperating with the maintainer of the conflicting
> > tree to minimise any particularly complex conflicts.
> >

> Thanks for the warning. Indeed the txt file being touched by
> 9b358af7c818 is being updated into a yaml file which does not reference
> the mux binding anymore.
>
> Rob, how do you want to proceed?

It shouldn't be an issue merging as taking the deleted file is simple
enough to resolve.

Rob