2023-10-05 13:59:07

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: build warnings after merge of the ti tree

Hi all,

[I may have missed this yesterday, sorry]

After merging the ti tree, today's linux-next build (arm64 defconfig)
produced these warnings:

arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #address-cells value
arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #size-cells value

Introduced by commit

45a0c06571e1 ("arm64: dts: ti: am642-evm: Add overlay for NAND expansion card")

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2023-10-05 14:51:39

by Roger Quadros

Hi,

On 05/10/2023 11:25, Raghavendra, Vignesh wrote:
> + Rob and DT list
>
> Hi Stephen
>
> On 10/5/2023 8:45 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> [I may have missed this yesterday, sorry]
>>
>> After merging the ti tree, today's linux-next build (arm64 defconfig)
>> produced these warnings:
>>
>> arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #address-cells value
>> arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #size-cells value
>>
>> Introduced by commit
>>
>> 45a0c06571e1 ("arm64: dts: ti: am642-evm: Add overlay for NAND expansion card")
>>

> Thanks for the report. I will drop the offending comment.
>
> Roger,
>
> Sorry, this would need to be fixed in dtc or need exception from DT
> maintainers to ignore the warnings.

Please don't drop this patch as the issue is not with the patch but with
the dtc tool itself.

As this is a DT overlay there is no way to specify address-cells/size-cells
of parent here. This will be resolved only after merge with base tree.

This will be fixed in next dtc sync.
https://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree-compiler/msg04036.html

See further discussion here
https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAL_JsqLmv904+_2EOmsQ__y1yLDvsT+_02i85phuh0cpe7X8NQ@mail.gmail.com/

--
cheers,
-roger

2023-10-05 15:54:54

by Nishanth Menon

On 16:12-20231005, Roger Quadros wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/10/2023 11:25, Raghavendra, Vignesh wrote:
> > + Rob and DT list
> >
> > Hi Stephen
> >
> > On 10/5/2023 8:45 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> [I may have missed this yesterday, sorry]
> >>
> >> After merging the ti tree, today's linux-next build (arm64 defconfig)
> >> produced these warnings:
> >>
> >> arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #address-cells value
> >> arch/arm64/boot/dts/ti/k3-am642-evm-nand.dtso:65.8-140.3: Warning (avoid_default_addr_size): /fragment@3/__overlay__: Relying on default #size-cells value
> >>
> >> Introduced by commit
> >>
> >> 45a0c06571e1 ("arm64: dts: ti: am642-evm: Add overlay for NAND expansion card")
> >>

> > Thanks for the report. I will drop the offending comment.
> >
> > Roger,
> >
> > Sorry, this would need to be fixed in dtc or need exception from DT
> > maintainers to ignore the warnings.
>
> Please don't drop this patch as the issue is not with the patch but with
> the dtc tool itself.
>
> As this is a DT overlay there is no way to specify address-cells/size-cells
> of parent here. This will be resolved only after merge with base tree.
>
> This will be fixed in next dtc sync.
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree-compiler/msg04036.html
>
> See further discussion here
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAL_JsqLmv904+_2EOmsQ__y1yLDvsT+_02i85phuh0cpe7X8NQ@mail.gmail.com/

Roger, build warnings are a strict NO,NO for kernel. Lets bring in the
series *after* the dtc sync is complete.

Nishanth Menon
Key (0xDDB5849D1736249D) / Fingerprint: F8A2 8693 54EB 8232 17A3 1A34 DDB5 849D 1736 249D

2023-10-06 12:04:18

by Roger Quadros

On 05/10/2023 16:29, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> On 16:12-20231005, Roger Quadros wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 05/10/2023 11:25, Raghavendra, Vignesh wrote:
>>> + Rob and DT list
>>>
>>> Hi Stephen

>>> Thanks for the report. I will drop the offending comment.
>>>
>>> Roger,
>>>
>>> Sorry, this would need to be fixed in dtc or need exception from DT
>>> maintainers to ignore the warnings.
>>
>> Please don't drop this patch as the issue is not with the patch but with
>> the dtc tool itself.
>>
>> As this is a DT overlay there is no way to specify address-cells/size-cells
>> of parent here. This will be resolved only after merge with base tree.
>>
>> This will be fixed in next dtc sync.
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree-compiler/msg04036.html
>>
>> See further discussion here
>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAL_JsqLmv904+_2EOmsQ__y1yLDvsT+_02i85phuh0cpe7X8NQ@mail.gmail.com/
>>

> Roger, build warnings are a strict NO,NO for kernel. Lets bring in the
> series *after* the dtc sync is complete.

Hi Rob,

Following commit from dtc is required to resolve this issue.

afbddcd418fb ("Suppress warnings on overlay fragments")

FYI. Another patch of similar nature is on its way and will also require the
above commit to DTC.
https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/

--
cheers,
-roger

2023-10-06 13:56:25

by Rob Herring

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 7:03 AM Roger Quadros <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 05/10/2023 16:29, Nishanth Menon wrote:
> > On 16:12-20231005, Roger Quadros wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Please don't drop this patch as the issue is not with the patch but with
> >> the dtc tool itself.
> >>
> >> As this is a DT overlay there is no way to specify address-cells/size-cells
> >> of parent here. This will be resolved only after merge with base tree.
> >>
> >> This will be fixed in next dtc sync.
> >> https://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree-compiler/msg04036.html
> >>
> >> See further discussion here
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAL_JsqLmv904+_2EOmsQ__y1yLDvsT+_02i85phuh0cpe7X8NQ@mail.gmail.com/
> >>

> > Roger, build warnings are a strict NO,NO for kernel. Lets bring in the
> > series *after* the dtc sync is complete.
> >

> Hi Rob,
>
> Following commit from dtc is required to resolve this issue.
>
> afbddcd418fb ("Suppress warnings on overlay fragments")

That is from 2018, so it's been in the kernel's dtc for a long time.

I believe what you need is the patch I referenced which hasn't been
applied upstream.

> FYI. Another patch of similar nature is on its way and will also require the
> above commit to DTC.
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email protected]/

You'll need to fix dtc first.

Rob

2023-10-06 15:42:21

by Roger Quadros

On 06/10/2023 16:55, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 7:03 AM Roger Quadros <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Roger, build warnings are a strict NO,NO for kernel. Lets bring in the
>>> series *after* the dtc sync is complete.
>>>

>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Following commit from dtc is required to resolve this issue.
>>
>> afbddcd418fb ("Suppress warnings on overlay fragments")
>
> That is from 2018, so it's been in the kernel's dtc for a long time.

Oh, my bad. I saw your Reviewed-by tag and assumed the patch was already upstream.

--
cheers,
-roger