2022-01-21 22:22:30

by Myrtle Shah

These are some initial patches to bugs I found attempting to
get a XIP kernel working on hardware:
- 32-bit VexRiscv processor
- kernel in SPI flash, at 0x00200000
- 16MB of RAM at 0x10000000
- MMU enabled

I still have some more debugging to do, but these at least
get the kernel as far as initialising the MMU, and I would
appreciate feedback if anyone else is working on RISC-V XIP.

2022-01-21 22:22:39

by Vitaly Wool

Subject: Re:

Hey,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Myrtle Shah <[email protected]> wrote:

> These are some initial patches to bugs I found attempting to
> get a XIP kernel working on hardware:
> - 32-bit VexRiscv processor
> - kernel in SPI flash, at 0x00200000
> - 16MB of RAM at 0x10000000
> - MMU enabled
>
> I still have some more debugging to do, but these at least
> get the kernel as far as initialising the MMU, and I would
> appreciate feedback if anyone else is working on RISC-V XIP.

I'll try to support you as much as I can, unfortunately I don't have
any 32-bit RISC-V around so I was rather thinking of extending the
RISC-V XIP support to 64-bit non-MMU targets.
For now just please keep in mind that there might be some inherent
assumptions that a target is 64 bit.

Best regards,
Vitaly

by Damien Le Moal

On 2022/01/21 0:37, Vitaly Wool wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Myrtle Shah <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> These are some initial patches to bugs I found attempting to
>> get a XIP kernel working on hardware:
>> - 32-bit VexRiscv processor
>> - kernel in SPI flash, at 0x00200000
>> - 16MB of RAM at 0x10000000
>> - MMU enabled
>>
>> I still have some more debugging to do, but these at least
>> get the kernel as far as initialising the MMU, and I would
>> appreciate feedback if anyone else is working on RISC-V XIP.
>
> I'll try to support you as much as I can, unfortunately I don't have
> any 32-bit RISC-V around so I was rather thinking of extending the
> RISC-V XIP support to 64-bit non-MMU targets.

That would be great ! I am completing the buildroot patches for the K210. Got
u-boot almost working for SD card boot too (fighting a problem with rootfs
kernel mount on boot when using u-boot though).

> For now just please keep in mind that there might be some inherent
> assumptions that a target is 64 bit.
>
> Best regards,
> Vitaly

Damien Le Moal
Western Digital Research

2022-02-07 20:00:01

by Palmer Dabbelt

On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 07:37:00 PST (-0800), [email protected] wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:30 PM Myrtle Shah <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> These are some initial patches to bugs I found attempting to
>> get a XIP kernel working on hardware:
>> - 32-bit VexRiscv processor
>> - kernel in SPI flash, at 0x00200000
>> - 16MB of RAM at 0x10000000
>> - MMU enabled
>>
>> I still have some more debugging to do, but these at least
>> get the kernel as far as initialising the MMU, and I would
>> appreciate feedback if anyone else is working on RISC-V XIP.
>
> I'll try to support you as much as I can, unfortunately I don't have
> any 32-bit RISC-V around so I was rather thinking of extending the
> RISC-V XIP support to 64-bit non-MMU targets.
> For now just please keep in mind that there might be some inherent
> assumptions that a target is 64 bit.

I don't test any of the XIP configs, but if you guys have something that's sane
to run in QEMU I'm happy to do so. Given that there's now some folks finding
boot bugs it's probably worth getting what does boot into a regression test so
it's less likely to break moving forwards.

These are on fixes, with the second one split up so it's got a better chance of
landing in the stable trees.

Thanks!