2014-06-27 21:54:22

by Nawn Given

Subject: Writing Device Drivers

I recently read some post-commentary on very old Linux mailing list
messages (announcement to 0.96.)

I'm interested in how someone writes a driver for their hardware. What
is the process (or if it's become harder to explain since the early
90s, what was the process back then) for Linux?

2014-06-27 22:48:15

by Andi Kleen

Subject: Re: Writing Device Drivers

Nawn Given <[email protected]> writes:

> I recently read some post-commentary on very old Linux mailing list
> messages (announcement to 0.96.)
>
> I'm interested in how someone writes a driver for their hardware. What
> is the process (or if it's become harder to explain since the early
> 90s, what was the process back then) for Linux?

1. Open editor
2. Type code
3. Test code
4. Repeat until code works.

No substantial change since 0.96 as far as I know.

-Andi

--
[email protected] -- Speaking for myself only