2019-05-09 08:07:13

by Ronny Meeus

Subject: fs/pstore question

Hello

I'm using the pstore feature to log kernel crashes.

What I observe is that after reboot, always 2 entries are present in the pstore:

ls -l /mnt/pstore
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-1

If I do not delete the entries and force a new crash, only 2 new
entries are available
after the system is online again and the older entries are overwritten.

The reason for this is that the write index is always initialized to 0
during init.
Is this intentional? I would expect that existing entries are kept
until they are explicitly
deleted or the storage is full. In the latter case the oldest entries
can be replaced.

Best regards,
Ronny

2019-05-20 07:33:19

by Ronny Meeus

Subject: Re: fs/pstore question

Op do 9 mei 2019 10:05 schreef Ronny Meeus <[email protected]>:

> Hello
>
> I'm using the pstore feature to log kernel crashes.
>
> What I observe is that after reboot, always 2 entries are present in the pstore:
>
> ls -l /mnt/pstore
> total 0
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-0
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-1
>
> If I do not delete the entries and force a new crash, only 2 new
> entries are available
> after the system is online again and the older entries are overwritten.
>
> The reason for this is that the write index is always initialized to 0
> during init.
> Is this intentional? I would expect that existing entries are kept
> until they are explicitly
> deleted or the storage is full. In the latter case the oldest entries
> can be replaced.
>
> Best regards,
> Ronny

Any feedback is appreciated.