2001-03-01 02:03:49

by Neal Gieselman

Subject: ext3 fsck question

We are running ext3 1.20 on a 2.2 kernel for about a year now on
a flash disk. No problems to speak of that we know of yet.
I just discovered that we do not have the fsck.ext3 nor any of
the other efs2progs utilities.

I applied the libs and other utilites from e2fsprogs by hand.
I ran fsck.ext3 on my secondary partition and it ran fine. The boot fsck
on / was complaining about something but I could not catch it.
I then went single user and ran fsck.ext3 on / while mounted.
Bad move. It ran and reported many errors which I chose to repair.
It screwed the partition up to the point where it paniced on boot.
I could still get it into single user but I found that lots of files were
missing which happened to be located in lost+found (inittab, rc.local, etc).

Anyone else have luck with this combination?
Excuse the stupid question, but with ext3, do I really require the
fsck.ext3?

2001-03-01 12:59:41

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Re: ext3 fsck question

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Neal Gieselman wrote:

> I then went single user and ran fsck.ext3 on / while mounted.
> Bad move. It ran and reported many errors which I chose to repair.
> It screwed the partition up to the point where it paniced on boot.
[SNIPPED....]

You must NEVER fsck a file-system that is mounted read/write. Note,
when you `umount /`. It is still available for read/execute. You
can execute fsck at this time.

> Anyone else have luck with this combination?
> Excuse the stupid question, but with ext3, do I really require the
> fsck.ext3?

fsck.ext3 goes with ext3 file systems, just like fsck.ext2 goes with
ext2.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

2001-03-01 13:06:21

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 08:03:21PM -0600, Neal Gieselman wrote:

> I applied the libs and other utilites from e2fsprogs by hand.
> I ran fsck.ext3 on my secondary partition and it ran fine. The boot fsck
> on / was complaining about something but I could not catch it.
> I then went single user and ran fsck.ext3 on / while mounted.

e2fsck should complain loudly and ask for confirmation if you do that.
Goin ahead with the fsck is a bad move on a mounted, rw filesystem!

> Excuse the stupid question, but with ext3, do I really require the
> fsck.ext3?

fsck.ext3 is just a link to e2fsck. Make sure you're running recent
e2fsprogs, though (either the latest snapshot from
downloads.sourceforge.net or a build from
ftp.uk.linux.org:/pub/linux/sct/fs/jfs/).

Cheers,
Stephen