2001-04-04 14:05:16

by John Kodis

Subject: IDE RAID Hardware Advice

I'll be assembling a terabyte of IDE RAID network attached storage,
and was looking for some advice on:

- best supported and most reliable multi-channel IDE controller;

- best supported and most reliable NFS implementation;

- any other random advise about things to do or not do in setting up
this type of system.

--
John Kodis <[email protected]>
Phone: 301-286-7376

2001-04-04 16:52:59

by David Christensen

Subject: RE: IDE RAID Hardware Advice

I just came across a very good page on exactly the same issue. Have a look
at http://www.research.att.com/~gjm/linux/ide-raid.html.

David Christensen

I'll be assembling a terabyte of IDE RAID network attached storage,
and was looking for some advice on:

- best supported and most reliable multi-channel IDE controller;

- best supported and most reliable NFS implementation;

- any other random advise about things to do or not do in setting up
this type of system.

--
John Kodis <[email protected]>
Phone: 301-286-7376

2001-04-04 19:56:50

by Erik Mouw

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:03:59AM -0400, John Kodis wrote:
> I'll be assembling a terabyte of IDE RAID network attached storage,
> and was looking for some advice on:
>
> - best supported and most reliable multi-channel IDE controller;

See http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html . (3Ware controllers are the
only supported IDE RAID controller)

> - best supported and most reliable NFS implementation;
>
> - any other random advise about things to do or not do in setting up
> this type of system.

Don't use an NFS exported reiserfs filesystem. (see this mailing list
archive).

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]