2001-04-13 15:56:26

by Nate Eldredge

Subject: Re: SCSI Tape Corruption - update 2

[email protected] wrote:

> Well, the 2.2 distributed with Mandrake 7.2 works fine ... :)
>
> Hmmm... 32 CONSECUTIVE bytes are a very peculiar error. What can it be?
>
> Still experimenting...

I once ran into a problem with 32-byte errors appearing in files, and
later, in memory. I eventually traced it to buggy motherboard cache.
(32 bytes is the size of a cache line.) A memory tester might be
something to try (I wrote a simple program that seemed to show the
error better than memtest86; can send it if desired.)

--

Nate Eldredge

by Geert Uytterhoeven

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Well, the 2.2 distributed with Mandrake 7.2 works fine ... :)
> >
> > Hmmm... 32 CONSECUTIVE bytes are a very peculiar error. What can it be?
> >
> > Still experimenting...
>
> I once ran into a problem with 32-byte errors appearing in files, and
> later, in memory. I eventually traced it to buggy motherboard cache.
> (32 bytes is the size of a cache line.) A memory tester might be
> something to try (I wrote a simple program that seemed to show the
> error better than memtest86; can send it if desired.)

In that case I'd expect the problem to show up when doing whatever. So far I
could not find corrupted files on my hard disk, only when writing to tape, and
only with 2.3/2.4.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds

2001-04-14 18:45:29

by Lorenzo Marcantonio

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nate Eldredge wrote:

> (32 bytes is the size of a cache line.) A memory tester might be
> something to try (I wrote a simple program that seemed to show the
> error better than memtest86; can send it if desired.)

Already tried that... this system has passed some 20 hours running
memtest86...

Also I've got NO OTHER memory failure symptom (and the tape fails only on
writing)

-- Lorenzo Marcantonio

2001-04-14 21:57:49

by Chip Salzenberg

In article <[email protected]> you write:
>On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>> (32 bytes is the size of a cache line.) A memory tester might be
>> something to try (I wrote a simple program that seemed to show the
>> error better than memtest86; can send it if desired.)
>
>Already tried that... this system has passed some 20 hours running
>memtest86...

I suggest you try Cerberus:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

which will viciously beat your system to within an inch of its life.
If you have any motherboard problems, they're more likely to show up
with Cerberus than with a simple memtest.
--
Chip Salzenberg - a.k.a. - <[email protected]>
"We have no fuel on board, plus or minus 8 kilograms." -- NEAR tech