2001-11-20 01:34:07

by Harik A'ttar

Subject: radeonfb bug: text ends up scrolling in the middle of tux.

Ok, I've poked around but I can't find a penguin or tux bitmap to
figure out why scrolling is so broken. I've got to login blind and type
reset to get the console back. Needless to say, no kernel messages
are readable after the mode-switch (they all overwrite themselves on
a single line)

This is recent 2.4.X kernels (up to and including .15-pre6) An annoying
bug, be good to catch it before final.

--Dan

2001-11-20 02:00:31

by Ryan Cumming

On November 19, 2001 17:33, Dan Merillat wrote:
> Ok, I've poked around but I can't find a penguin or tux bitmap to
> figure out why scrolling is so broken. I've got to login blind and type
> reset to get the console back. Needless to say, no kernel messages
> are readable after the mode-switch (they all overwrite themselves on
> a single line)

Type 'dmesg' as root to get all your lost kernel messages back. Hopefully
they'll shed some light on the problem.

-Ryan

2001-11-20 04:39:27

by Harik A'ttar

Ryan Cumming writes:
> On November 19, 2001 17:33, Dan Merillat wrote:
> > Ok, I've poked around but I can't find a penguin or tux bitmap to
> > figure out why scrolling is so broken. I've got to login blind and type
> > reset to get the console back. Needless to say, no kernel messages
> > are readable after the mode-switch (they all overwrite themselves on
> > a single line)
>
> Type 'dmesg' as root to get all your lost kernel messages back. Hopefully
> they'll shed some light on the problem.

Yes, yes. The boot messages are normal, and typing 'reset' once I login
restores normal console. The code that sets up a scrolling window below tux
is well, missing the mark.

Tux looks like he's about 5 lines high, so lines 1-3 are tux, 4 is the one
line of scroll, 5 is his feet, and 6-30 is the previous kernel boot
messages.

--Dan

2001-11-20 17:59:51

by Ingo Saitz

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 08:33:29PM -0500, Dan Merillat wrote:
> Ok, I've poked around but I can't find a penguin or tux bitmap to
> figure out why scrolling is so broken. I've got to login blind and type
> reset to get the console back. Needless to say, no kernel messages
> are readable after the mode-switch (they all overwrite themselves on
> a single line)

Yes, I encontered the same. See my previous message for a patch:

Subject: Debugging (?) output in 2.4.14 breaks radeon framebuffer

The offending code seems to have entered the kernel at 2.4.14,
2.4.13 was OK on my box.

Ingo
--
Gzip is Evil!
- Gzip is described in RCF 1952

2001-11-21 03:12:53

by Louis E Garcia II

I can't seem to find that patch. This bug is annoying, can you please
tell me where I can get it?

Thanks, Louis