2001-11-30 02:06:58

by jose

Subject: 32 bit UIDs on 2.4.14

Hi.

What is the trick to get more than 2^16 uids working on all services??

I'm using kernel 2.4.14, libc6 compiled with 2.4.7 headers, lib(pam|nss)-ldap
openldap, wu-imap, cuci-pop, samba, telnet, ssh, Debian Potato.

'id' and 'getent passwd high-uid-user' both return the right uid (which
is stored on the ldap system), but 'ls -l' truncates the uid if it's higher than
65536 (say for uid 80000, it reports 14464), and sshd, telnetd and imapd deny
logins because setuid() invalidates a >16 bit interger as argument.

What should I recompile?? is there a moderately easy workaround??

Thanks

Jos?

2001-11-30 02:20:58

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: 32 bit UIDs on 2.4.14

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:06:30PM -0600, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi.
>
> What is the trick to get more than 2^16 uids working on all services??
>
> I'm using kernel 2.4.14, libc6 compiled with 2.4.7 headers, lib(pam|nss)-ldap
> openldap, wu-imap, cuci-pop, samba, telnet, ssh, Debian Potato.
>
> 'id' and 'getent passwd high-uid-user' both return the right uid (which
> is stored on the ldap system), but 'ls -l' truncates the uid if it's higher than
> 65536 (say for uid 80000, it reports 14464), and sshd, telnetd and imapd deny
> logins because setuid() invalidates a >16 bit interger as argument.
>
> What should I recompile?? is there a moderately easy workaround??

That patch is in the 2.4.13-ac7 don't use -ac8.

It's probably somewhere else, but I don't know who origionally submited the
patch to Alan.

mf

2001-11-30 10:52:04

by Alan

> What is the trick to get more than 2^16 uids working on all services?=
> ?

2.4.x kernel
Glibc 2.2
Up to date pam modules
ext2/ext3 file system

patches needed for quotas

2001-11-30 13:21:29

by Hans Reiser

Alan Cox wrote:

>> What is the trick to get more than 2^16 uids working on all services?=
>>?
>>

>2.4.x kernel
>Glibc 2.2
>Up to date pam modules
>ext2/ext3 file system
>
>patches needed for quotas
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

reiserfs also works, for 32 bit uids

Hans