2002-01-16 21:42:35

by Joonas Koivunen

Subject: Power off NOT working, kernel 2.4.16

Hey everyone,

I keep having this problem with 2.2 and 2.4 kernel series, and that is
APM poweroff not working. I tried all possible boot time commands which
could help me without results.

APM poweroff has actually been working with this computer, back when we
used 2.0.36 type kernels, and that one was possibly redhat patched or
something else, and windowses knew also how to poweroff, with mainboards
drivers. APM poweroff seized to operate when I switched to 2.2 serie
kernels.

My system is P2 prosessor on ASUS P2L97. cat /proc/apm tells:

1.15 1.2 0x03 0x01 0xff 0x80 -1% -1 ?

booting with debug option doesn't make apm speak more, well I dunno how
could I provide more information.

TIA,
rzei

2002-01-17 02:48:53

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: Re: Power off NOT working, kernel 2.4.16

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:45:00 +0200
Joonas Koivunen <[email protected]> wrote:

> APM poweroff has actually been working with this computer, back when we
> used 2.0.36 type kernels, and that one was possibly redhat patched or
> something else, and windowses knew also how to poweroff, with mainboards
> drivers. APM poweroff seized to operate when I switched to 2.2 serie
> kernels.

Have you checked your /etc/[rc.d/]init.d/halt script to make sure
that it is passing the "-p" option to "halt"? This was a change
between the 2.0 and 2.2 kernels i.e. powerdown became separate
from halt.

Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

2002-01-17 07:37:54

by Joonas Koivunen

Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Have you checked your /etc/[rc.d/]init.d/halt script to make sure
> that it is passing the "-p" option to "halt"? This was a change
> between the 2.0 and 2.2 kernels i.e. powerdown became separate
> from halt.

Yes, it's there, and I have also tried poweroff, no effect, last text
line I see is 'Power down.' and the system is succefully halted, not
switched off.

-rzei

2002-01-17 09:23:34

by Romano Giannetti

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:45:13AM +0200, Joonas Koivunen wrote:

> Yes, it's there, and I have also tried poweroff, no effect, last text
> line I see is 'Power down.' and the system is succefully halted, not
> switched off.

I have the same problem on my home box (Athlon with AMD mo-bo). RedHat
compiled kernel _do_ poweroff (although with a flashing oops just before
power goes off), but none of vanillas kernel can do it --- I tried with and
without ACPI, with APM real-mode call, whatever.

Romano

--
Romano Giannetti - Univ. Pontificia Comillas (Madrid, Spain)
Electronic Engineer - phone +34 915 422 800 ext 2416 fax +34 915 411 132

2002-01-17 13:10:41

by Bill Davidsen

In article <[email protected]> you write:
| On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:45:13AM +0200, Joonas Koivunen wrote:
| >
| > Yes, it's there, and I have also tried poweroff, no effect, last text
| > line I see is 'Power down.' and the system is succefully halted, not
| > switched off.
|
| I have the same problem on my home box (Athlon with AMD mo-bo). RedHat
| compiled kernel _do_ poweroff (although with a flashing oops just before
| power goes off), but none of vanillas kernel can do it --- I tried with and
| without ACPI, with APM real-mode call, whatever.

I've had that problem with my BP6 for so long I stopped complaining.
Time to start again, I guess.

WHINE

There, now I feel better ;-) Really annoying, though, to have to boot
NT just to turn the machine off.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by David Weinehall

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:09:59AM -0500, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <[email protected]> you write:
> | On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 09:45:13AM +0200, Joonas Koivunen wrote:
> | >
> | > Yes, it's there, and I have also tried poweroff, no effect, last text
> | > line I see is 'Power down.' and the system is succefully halted, not
> | > switched off.
> |
> | I have the same problem on my home box (Athlon with AMD mo-bo). RedHat
> | compiled kernel _do_ poweroff (although with a flashing oops just before
> | power goes off), but none of vanillas kernel can do it --- I tried with and
> | without ACPI, with APM real-mode call, whatever.
>
> I've had that problem with my BP6 for so long I stopped complaining.
> Time to start again, I guess.
>
> WHINE
>
> There, now I feel better ;-) Really annoying, though, to have to boot
> NT just to turn the machine off.

Ever tried holding the power-button for 3 seconds?!

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2002-01-17 17:35:07

by Nick Sanders

> APM poweroff has actually been working with this computer, back when we
> used 2.0.36 type kernels, and that one was possibly redhat patched or
> something else, and windowses knew also how to poweroff, with mainboards
> drivers. APM poweroff seized to operate when I switched to 2.2 serie
> kernels.

I had the same problem the way I fixed it was added

apm power_off=1

to /etc/modules

this is using Debian (2.4.17 kernel)

Nick

2002-01-17 20:11:26

by Bill Davidsen

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, David Weinehall wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:09:59AM -0500, bill davidsen wrote:

> > I've had that problem with my BP6 for so long I stopped complaining.
> > Time to start again, I guess.
> >
> > WHINE
> >
> > There, now I feel better ;-) Really annoying, though, to have to boot
> > NT just to turn the machine off.
>
> Ever tried holding the power-button for 3 seconds?!

Given that it should shut down after a job completes and I work 130+ miles
away, that's not optimal. I'd rather not use the system to heat air that
the a/c needs to cool so I can run the idle loop. Currently I just run a
script to use "lilo -R" to boot to an OS which is smart enough to do the
job. Actually old kernels did the job until the APC was enhanced. More QA
buy the "it doesn't break MY system" method of testing...

At some point I'll convert to ext3, and shutdown with sync() and have the
X10 module cut power, or use "find why this kernel shuts it down and that
one doesn't" as an employment test when some kid applies for a kernel
hacker job ;-)

--

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Martin Eriksson wrote:

> Though I guess every sane developer resents the BP6 ;) It seems to have more
> than it's share of strange quirks, timing problems, buggy IDE, ACPI
> problems, user hacks...

Low price, good performance... Still a nice machine for software
development with big memory and fast drives.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Koos Vriezen

> I keep having this problem with 2.2 and 2.4 kernel series, and that is
> APM poweroff not working. I tried all possible boot time commands

Did you try apm's power-off option,
modprobe apm power-off, or add option apm power-off in modules.conf or
use lilo's append apm=power-off.

Regards,

Koos Vriezen