2002-03-24 16:57:35

by Christian Asam

Subject: Problem with serial.c introduced in 2.4.15

After having found that my VM-Problem (USB/MOD) was due to an old
kernel I upgraded to 2.4.18 and found that I couldn't use my digitizer
board (Genius) with gpm(genitizer) anymoure.
I tracked it down to a change made from 2.4.14 to 2.4.15:

drivers/char/serial.c:
#if 0 /*
* !!! ignore all characters if CREAD is not set
*/
if ((cflag & CREAD) == 0)
info->ignore_status_mask |= UART_LSR_DR;
#endif

The #if 0 and #endif was removed in 2.4.15 and somehow that breaks
gpm/genitizer. Having added the "commenting out through $if 0" the
tablet works fine again and deactivating the appropriate line in 2.4.18
also works.

cu

2002-03-24 17:49:12

by Russell King

Subject: Re: Problem with serial.c introduced in 2.4.15

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 05:57:08PM +0100, Christian Asam wrote:
> The #if 0 and #endif was removed in 2.4.15 and somehow that breaks
> gpm/genitizer. Having added the "commenting out through $if 0" the
> tablet works fine again and deactivating the appropriate line in 2.4.18
> also works.

It sounds like gpm is buggy. If an application turns off the CREAD flag
and expects to read characters from a TTY, then its asking too much. 8)

[-]cread
allow input to be received

--
Russell King ([email protected]) The developer of ARM Linux

by Bernd Eckenfels

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> The #if 0 and #endif was removed in 2.4.15 and somehow that breaks
> gpm/genitizer. Having added the "commenting out through $if 0" the
> tablet works fine again and deactivating the appropriate line in 2.4.18
> also works.

Probably stty CREAD < /dev/ttyS0 will help (or whatever your tty is) Looks
like a bug in gpm, which is not setting the cread flag.

Greetings
Bernd