2002-11-24 02:25:19

by Justin Pryzby

Subject: SIS 630 poweroff on X shutdown

While running X 4.2.99.2, under Linux 2.4.20-rc3, the control-alt-backspace key
sequence kills X; however, it also shuts down the computer.

Interestingly, although X dies as soon as the backspace is pressed, if I
release the backspace key, but hold control-alt, the computer stays on.
Shutdown occurs as soon as control-alt is released. If I include the X
'Option "Dont Zap"', X does not die, yet the system still shuts down.

This is not a recent development, and is not specific to my version of Linux or
X. This occurs with all kernel configurations I've tried, including one with
AGP, DRM and framebuffer and one without AGP,DRM and framebuffer.

I doubt this is entirely a kernel issue; I plan on contacting the X people
as well. However, it seems that there may be a kernel problem, as X really
shouldn't take the system down.

Please CC me in all responses.

Justin Pryzby

by Janos Farkas

On 2002-11-23 at 21:32:36, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> While running X 4.2.99.2, under Linux 2.4.20-rc3, the control-alt-backspace key
> sequence kills X; however, it also shuts down the computer.

I have a SIS based motherboard too, and it does it for me too, kind of.
Providing I do it via a PS/2 keyboard, via USB it does not happen.
Also, it does not shut down, just puts it in a power save mode. You do
have APM enabled, right?

Apparently, this is a BIOS feature, but I have not managed to find out
what setting needs to be there to be able to poweroff via halt -p, but
not via this ctrl-alt-bs... Maybe you want to play with it and report? :)

> I doubt this is entirely a kernel issue; I plan on contacting the X people
> as well. However, it seems that there may be a kernel problem, as X really
> shouldn't take the system down.

I was surprised too, but does not seem to be even Linux specific
either..

--
Janos
romfs is at http://romfs.sourceforge.net/