2004-10-21 23:51:19

by Pallipadi, Venkatesh

Subject: RE: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

Even I thought so. But, with the emulator it doesn't hang. It brings
back my video. I double checked this using another vm86 emulator too.
No hang even there. I couldn't figure out why Ole's patch won't work
though. Right now I am using call_usermodehelper() to call the
emulator during resume and the video comes back just fine on this
system where Ole's patch didn't work.

Thanks,
Venki

2004-10-22 01:48:09

by Matthew Garrett

Pallipadi, Venkatesh <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

> Even I thought so. But, with the emulator it doesn't hang. It brings
> back my video. I double checked this using another vm86 emulator too.
> No hang even there. I couldn't figure out why Ole's patch won't work
> though. Right now I am using call_usermodehelper() to call the
> emulator during resume and the video comes back just fine on this
> system where Ole's patch didn't work.

Is it possible to get this patch and code off you? I'd be interested in
testing this solution on various bits of hardware I've been working on.

Matthew Garrett | [email protected]

2004-10-22 13:08:07

by Stefan Dösinger

> Right now I am using call_usermodehelper() to call the
> emulator during resume and the video comes back just fine on this
> system where Ole's patch didn't work.
Can you explain me how you do this? call_usermodehelper() doesn't work for me
at resume time.

BTW, I had a look at the radeon card's resume code at 0xc000:3 and attempted
to implement it in a kernel module. The code is pretty simple, but it's quite
long. My module isn't finished, it only turns off the display and resets the
memory. I had to stop because I've a lot of things to do for school now.

Ole Rohne meant that the code is potentially dangerous because it pokes around
with undocumented PLL registers, so I will not send it to the list: I will
send it only to those who explicitly ask for it.

Stefan D?singer